M1 Carbine Shopping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking I might want to start looking for an M1 Carbine and about all I'm sure of at this point is that I'd prefer a USGI model to a reproduction. I'll be looking for a shooter, not a safe queen or wall hanger so more concerned with the action and metal parts than the wood, I suppose.

So given the wealth of knowledge on the forum here, are there any particular tips on what to look for or what to stay away from? Any particular sources outside GB, Armslist, and shows? What would be a reasonable price range (understanding it can vary pretty widely depending on the particular gun)?

Des547

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to look around at the ammo situation while you're looking for a carbine. I haven't seen any at WalMart in over a year or at Bass Pro in Tulsa either. I had laid in 300 rounds of Remington FMJ when I bought my Auto Ordnance .30 carbine about three years ago.

Des

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking for a good deal for awhile. Definitely avoid commercial M1's, they have no soul and pretty much any USGI M1 will increase in value in your lifetime while a reproduction will fall.

M1's, other than Inland (the most common) will usually carry big premiums so unless you run across someone who doesn't know the value of what they're selling. I wanted a Rock-Ola but since you're looking for a shooter, Inland will probably be the best value. Ammo is a pain to find but I don't consider the M1 a high ammo usage gun so no biggie, all ammo is a pain to find.

Good luck on your search, they are sooo fun to shoot!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had several M1 Carbines, and I can echo the comments already posted about the USGI article being the better value over time - if you get one with real USGI parts. Accurately-produced repro parts are becoming so rampant, it's no fun anymore trying to find a Carbine with all USGI parts unless you've really done your homework. As has been said also, finding the ammo is problematic.

If you want to find the real article, I'd suggest going to the CMP forum and looking at the classifieds there. You'll pay more for a genuine Carbine, but you'll be more assured of getting a honest deal from a member there with positive feedback. Inland being the most common manufacturer by a long shot will make the Carbines issued by that maker the least expensive of all the makers, but you can still expect to pay well north of $600 for one in decent shape. Try to find one with a low muzzle wear number (say, 2 or less) for better accuracy, but be advised that Carbines in general were and are not tack drivers. At all.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks all ... I understand about the ammo, seems to be mostly a matter of finding it where and when it's available, sort of like .380 or .45 Colt.

As for being USGI - while I definitely want a USGI (i.e., other than commercial) receiver, action, and fire control parts if possible I'm not altogether emotional about decent quality reproduction parts since I'm really looking more for something to shoot and have a bit of fun with from time to time than as an investment. I just want to stay close to original design if possible, even if not original manufacture.

I am watching CMP - just missed out on a couple of pretty good examples there, but I hear they do turn up from time to time. Thanks for the tip on Inlands - I wondered why I seemed to see more of those than others. Looks like I missed out on a RockOla here recently but I hadn't quite made my mind up whether to go down this trail or not yet.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
keep an eye on gunboards.com also. i'm in the "gathering up the cash" portion of an M1 hunt myself.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to look around at the ammo situation while you're looking for a carbine. I haven't seen any at WalMart in over a year or at Bass Pro in Tulsa either. I had laid in 300 rounds of Remington FMJ when I bought my Auto Ordnance .30 carbine about three years ago.

Des

How do you like your Auto Ordnance Carbine? They are made to mil specs? I have an old Universal that only looks like a real one. Mine shoots good but it is a different gun.

I would have no problem getting the Auto Ordnance Carbine. It would be new for around the same price as a 50 year old USGI.

Latest posts

Top Bottom