M1 Carbine Shopping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading around the Internet last night and read an article in an old copy of Guns or Gun World about the AO carbine when they first came out. Seems they used a Saginaw Gear M1 carbine as the production model. Copied each part, lock, stock and barrel, as it were.

Des

I didnt know that.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what little I know, stay away from the 30 rd mags. The old guys in the shop are telling me that they don't work well.
Especially the Japanese versions.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have two, both of them purchased through CMP when they had all the european returns. One is a mix-master Inland, and the other is a full part Inland(NO THEY ARE NOT FOR SALE) made in 1943. Granted some of the parts may have been changed out, but they are all inland parts an the receiver and barrel are original to each. She's also the best shooter of the two. She'll hold a 3" group at 100yds all day. The mix-master will keep up groups of 5" to 6" at the same range. Those along with my CMP M1 Garand are my most prized rifles I own.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Appears James River Armory has bought the rights to the Rock-Ola name and has started building reproductions to USGI specs. A bit pricey at just under $1200 and missing the 'soul' of a USGI veteran (and wouldn't be eligible for most military matches) but they do look like they may be a reasonable alternative for someone who primarily wants a solid, reliable shooter. I've heard Fulton Armory makes a couple of versions as well, but theirs are even more pricey.

James River Rockola M1 Carbine
[Broken External Image]
In the meantime I've posted a WTB for a USGI version in the marketplace here, and am also watching CMP posts.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ancient history -- About 20 years ago had a opportunity to buy a Blue Sky rebuilt M1 Carbine for $90 -- It has General Motors 1945 stamped on the barrel; It also has Blue Sky stamped on the barrel too. I read somewhere these were in Korea and bought by Blue Sky and rebuilt (do not know if true). It shoots great, stock still appears brand new, the only issue is the wood stock has a small chip where the back of the receiver meets the top of the stock (the recoil lug area) -- A guy I met at the range, said the was normal, that I should dremel the chip out and refill with wood putty, I just left it there. They parkerized the crap out of all the metal parts -- The same range guy said the bolt assembly was off a M2 because it was heavier than the standard M1. If you read the forums there are a lot of mixed reviews about Blue Sky M1 Carbines, I sure like mine!

As far as ammunition, I bought some a while ago, but Civilian Marksmanship Program sells ammunition, when they have it.

Last edited:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had two IBM carbines. The last one was a bavarian return and Sam Weygand tried to get it for next to nothing because the germans had reblued it.

I've got one of those. IBM Bavarian return. It's got import marks on the bottom of the barrel but I don't care. I've also got an Inland that was a crazy good deal.

The carbines are so much fun. Or used to be, at least, when surplus ammo was still available.

Latest posts

Top Bottom