M1 Carbine value and sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering selling my M1 Carbine. I bought it seven years ago and I've only taken it to the range once. Rather than let it sit in my safe I'd like to sell it to someone who would enjoy it and shoot it. I'd like to know what the carbine is worth and whether I should sell it on OSA or Gunbroker.

It is a Inland carbine, the stock is marked with a IO which sounds correct. The serial number puts it manufactured in early 1944. The barrel is marked SA 1951. The stock overall is in excellent condition, when first purchased it looked almost perfect. Now it has a small gouge right below the rear of the hand guard from the tornado knocking my safe over. It has a couple marks where the metal on the sling marred the stock. It also has a few other small marks here and there but overall is in excellent condition.

The parking on the barrel and receiver looks good it is a little scratched from the bolt operating the receiver seems to be parked green. The lower half does not match, the parking is a darker color and has a reddish tint in spots, I don't think it is rust it is shiny in a couple places where the parking is wore off.

I'm having trouble grading this carbine and assigning a value to it. I'm not 100% sure I want to sell it since I know I will have trouble replacing it.

What does OSA think this carbine is worth? Thanks!

guns114 015.jpgguns114 016.jpgguns114 014.jpgguns114 019.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would probably also need to check the manufacturer on the small parts like the slide, sights, trigger housing, etc as well. The rifle likely has gone through a post-war rebuild due to the SA replacement barrel and the Type III barrel band so it is definitely not an original or "correct" rifle which is where the big money is at on carbines (along with rifles that have early production features like high wood stocks, flip sights, Type I or Type II barrel bands etc). The adjustable rear sights were late war additions and may be correct for the serial but I can't be sure without doing some research.

Any visible rebuild stamps on the stock? Even though the stock may be IO marked, it wouldn't be the original, correct stock since it is an M2 potbelly profile (no Inland M2 stocks were produced prior to 1945).

If the barrel condition is good with low muzzle and throat erosion I would say that the rifle is worth no less than $800.

Last edited:

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For comparison, I bought a clean Inland mixmaster including two mags and 150 rounds of ammunition for $650 late last year. Passed up a very pretty Winchester for $700 back in August because of a pitted barrel. Also came about an inch from buying a mostly corrected Rock-Ola with good metal but ugly wood for $800 a month or so ago. All were at gun shows, none had import marks. Assuming the bore's good and it headspaces correctly I'd say $650 to $750 at current street prices for a re-arsenaled (judging by the SA barrel) Inland. You might actually get more for it off GB than local sale.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the others have pointed out, what you have is a mixmaster Carbine with post-war parts; also, Inland produced the most Carbines of any manufacturer, so the prices on their products tend to be the lowest, all else being equal. I think Luke is a bit generous with his valuation, and Sanford is closer - $750 is what I'd expect to see on the price tag for a local deal. Gunbroker would probably be the better way to go, if you don't mind the extra paper- and leg work.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good night...where are you guys finding $650-$700 carbines at? I've been missing out. Everything that I have seen in that pricerange are worn out mixmasters or imports.

I honestly do not think that I even ran across a carbine for less than $850 at the Tulsa show earlier this month.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen a few in the $700 range at smaller shows and on a few forums in the past 6-9 months. I have also seen quite a few mixmasters go for much more. I haven't seen one at a local shop in a long time, so have no idea what it would bring at a B&M. Depending on the wear numbers, I might pay a little more. I'm sure there are some that would pay more. This is just an opinion. I have also seen a lot of mixmaster SG Garands going for $950 and up, but would not pay that either. I have a few that I would probably sell for that though!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly do not think that I even ran across a carbine for less than $850 at the Tulsa show earlier this month.

Yes, but did they sell? :)

I'm starting to see prices become more reasonable for the common mixmasters - sure, there are still the eye-rolling prices, but I've come across decent mixmasters for $700-750 in the past couple of months. (I got out of the Carbine field a couple years ago so I'm not looking - standard disclaimer)

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, but did they sell? :)

Do guns ever get sold at gun shows? :wink2: The prices are so bloated that I haven't purchased a firearm at a gun show in years.

I do agree that $750 is probably a more realistic figure for a local sale. Due to the condition alone I would still think that it would bring $800 in the CMP classifieds or on Gunbroker. The rifle's biggest knock is that it's an Inland with a SA replacement barrel and it wouldn't be the least bit feasible to attempt to make it correct. I'm probably in the minority due to the fact that I like the post war sights, the Type III barrel band with bayo lug, and the Korean era Springfield replacement barrels which are nice accurate barrels that make great shooters. I'll take a nice service grade rebuild over a rack grade near-correct rifle 9 times out of 10.