M1 carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDA.45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It will split off sooner or later.
I have a old fairly rough stock you can have if you want it.

PM me if interested.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure that stock is worth repairing unless it is a nice M1 example with cartouches. If it's an M2 potbelly, just replace it. I'd hazard a guess that you may find damage to the shelf under the recoil plate as well.

The park finish on the gun appears to be recent or from a rebuild as you stated. However, the rear sight would have very likely been updated to an adjustable version. The tool marks on the side of the flip sight and near the dovetail on the receiver makes me think that it might be a resto project.

It's honestly difficult to give an accurate valuation without seeing the rest of the rifle. Is it import marked?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The stock can be replaced. I’m more concerned about that area. It looks like a pressure dent from inside the receiver. Is there any damage on the inside?

upload_2018-6-3_20-22-39.jpeg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice eye...if that was a little further forward, I'd be concerned that the receiver was a reweld. I'm not sure if I've seen one that was cut through the rear dovetail area. I'd really like to see additional pics of the receiver and bolt. Hopefully that stock was not cracked from an OOB event.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rick,

I'm out in Yukon. You are welcome to swing by sometime and I'll check it out for you if you aren't comfortable doing so yourself. Field stripping is super easy though. There should be a good instructional video on YouTube.

If you are posting pics, please take photos of each side of the rifle, showing the entire rifle. Take detailed photos of the receiver and barrel markings, rear sight, interior of the receiver, bolt, and trigger housing.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No need to reimburse me for anything. If you can swing by sometime this week after Wednesday. We'll strip the rifle down and inspect it. Unfortunately I don't have any headspace gauges on hand.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Underwood made typewrites at one point in history and during WWII they made Carbines to aid the war effort. The Underwood Carbine if in perfect condition is sought after by collectors as is IBM and others. http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/
I bought a sportsterized Rockola (the people that made Juke Boxes) and still have the weapon, it looks sharp chrome receiver, nicely blued barrel and all but would be worth a thousand dollars more had some goofball not messed with the gun.
If you get a good buy on the Underwood, I'd go for it because they ain't making any more.
CoolhandLuke will fix you up, it sounds like he knows about guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom