M1 Garand / M1A / M-14 Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CMP Special Grade .308, Springfield Armory receiver

i39.tinypic.com_t828ld.jpg

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that USGI birch on the Garand?

Nice looking rifles!

it is the original stock with exception of the upper fore arm, that I had to replace. It finished and acted like birch, I remember when I first bought it the wood looked like African Gaboon wood and was very black. Three cans of easy off oven cleaner and submerged for 72 hours in denatured alcohol before the true color of the wood began to show. I spent almost a week raising the dents and dings throughout the stocks. I let the stocks cure out in a makeshift kiln for two weeks until the moisture content was down to 8%. After initially raising the grain I used a old French method of rubbing the stock with a mix of boiled linseed oil and varnish and a few hardeners. The mix does add a slightly darker finish then just oiling natural Birch.

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it is the original stock with exception of the upper fore arm, that I had to replace. It finished and acted like birch, I remember when I first bought it the wood looked like African Gaboon wood and was very black. Three cans of easy off oven cleaner and submerged for 72 hours in denatured alcohol before the true color of the wood began to show. I spent almost a week raising the dents and dings throughout the stocks. I let the stocks cure out in a makeshift kiln for two weeks until the moisture content was down to 8%. After initially raising the grain I used a old French method of rubbing the stock with a mix of boiled linseed oil and varnish and a few hardeners. The mix does add a slightly darker finish then just oiling natural Birch.

Beautiful and BadA** at the Same Time. Good Work!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread since it seems to have dropped off the Photos forum list...

My SAI M1A with all USGI parts, correct for a SA (USGI, not commercial) M14. The selector switch is a dummy rig and non-functional, and the scope mount is a Bassett with Weaver K4-1 scope and rings.

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_M1As_DSC_0153w_zpscdf63a9e.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom