M1 Garand question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're referring to the stickies that people sometimes attach to their orders, that has little to no bearing at all on the time involved in filling out an order. As has been described on the CMP forums, the person filling out the order might take into consideration the request on the sticky (such as, "USGI wood" or "WW2-dated receiver"), but if there are no rifles immediately available that meet the request, the employee will not spend any time looking for a suitable rifle. They just pick from the next few available rifles, so any more the fulfillment of a stickied request is coincidental.

Was thinking about the current HRA SG orders. Seems since they've been finding a few SAs and so offering customers at the top of the wait list the option of taking the SA or continuing to wait for an HRA, and a few have been able to change their orders from HRAs to SAs and actually get them faster - or so that's what they've posted over there.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That or buy one from somebody who bought one from the CMP thats not gonna bend you over. If you get my drift.

And I speak from personal experience that AKguy practices what he preaches! I got a nice HRA 55' from him and still have it. :)

I'm set up with CMP and it is a little more difficult than setting up an online account with your favorite internet merchant, but is by no means daunting enough to pay $1K for a rack grade CMP M1 Garand.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then go to a gunshow and pay the $400 "convenience fee" like everybody else that doesn't want to wait.

180 days is nothing. it used to take a year or more.

mr ed is so right. When it was the DCM before it became the CMP one could only buy one in a lifetime. It took 14 months before mine was delivered and they were not graded like they are now. CMP is the best as all above have stated.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was thinking about the current HRA SG orders. Seems since they've been finding a few SAs and so offering customers at the top of the wait list the option of taking the SA or continuing to wait for an HRA, and a few have been able to change their orders from HRAs to SAs and actually get them faster - or so that's what they've posted over there.

Gotcha. Funny thing is, early this year the reverse situation was true, with HRA-ordering customers being offered the option of switching to a SA M1 because the latter was much more common in the CMP warehouse. The pendulum seems to have swung the other way in recent months.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess saying you didnt want to wait is synonymous with unwilling to wait. I printed my paperwork off and filled it out this morning. Thanks for your help guys.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drive to Anniston. You get to pick it out, and the staff is very friendly.

^--- this. You can either buy there and take it home or have it shipped to avoid the Alabama sales tax. Reports say there aren't a lot on the shelves because they're still catching up with the mail order back log, but I see a few people reporting nice scores. Have been thinking about making the trip myself.

And for those concerned about the doom and gloom being preached about CMP in various places...

Capture.jpg

"Recent news articles and references to the demise of the Civilian Marksmanship Program are erroneous. Business and programs continue as usual. We appreciate the continued support of all our customers."

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, there is a bit of doom and gloom; the CMP stores have cut the hours they're open to members for walk-in purchases. Because of the glut of mail-in orders, they don't have the manpower to pull rifles for cleaning, sorting, and grading - and then stocking the store racks. So they dropped Wednesday and are now open only Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and store offerings are skimpy compared to a year ago. It's best to call the store before making a long road trip, or better yet, read the store reports on the CMP forum to find out what the current situation is like.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my Service Grade Springfield CMP M1 last week. I had ordered the HR M1 but they offered the Springfield if I wanted to change. It only took lees than a week to get it after I changed. It seams they are pulling more Springfield's out of crates than HR's. By the way shoots great and a blast to shoot. It took 4 months but worth it to save the money.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my Service Grade Springfield CMP M1 last week. I had ordered the HR M1 but they offered the Springfield if I wanted to change. It only took lees than a week to get it after I changed. It seams they are pulling more Springfield's out of crates than HR's. By the way shoots great and a blast to shoot. It took 4 months but worth it to save the money.
Awesome! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom