M1 Garand question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigK

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could wait till next year when CMP is at OKC Gun Club and you can choose your rifle off the table. Thats how I got mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering what I should do if given the choice....quick Springfield or slow HRA. Are the HRAs coming out now generally better than the Springfields and worth the wait? Are the Springers more "collectible"?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering what I should do if given the choice....quick Springfield or slow HRA. Are the HRAs coming out now generally better than the Springfields and worth the wait? Are the Springers more "collectible"?

If you're talking of the post-war Springfields, by and large they're about the same quality-wise as the HRA's, though a HRA blessed with an LMR barrel might be a bit more accurate than a SA with a 1950s SA barrel, assuming equal MW/TE numbers. As for collectibility, it's like beauty - it's in the eye of the beholder :) A 6M HRA will be more valuable than a 6M SA simply because there are a lot fewer of the former running around. However, if the SN isn't in an unusual or uncommon block, then a SA might be a bit more collectible than a HRA if for no other reason than more people know about Springfield than about Harrington & Richardson, even though there are fewer HRA M1's (<429K made) than post-war SA's (~637K made).

If it were me and I had neither or I had both, I'd probably go for the HRA and keep my fingers crossed I got one with an LMR barrel. No biggie if I got one with an HRA or replacement SA barrel, though.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought mine from CMP last summer. Wished I could make the trip and pick one up at their store in Alabama. That would be a cool experience.

I was in the store in Anniston, AL earlier this year. I saw none of the $595.00 rifles on the shelves. All of the rifles available were well north of $1,000.00. Since then they have cut back on their hours due to lack of rifles. I don't expect that will change anytime soon and prices will increase especially with the recent executive order banning imports.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the store in Anniston, AL earlier this year. I saw none of the $595.00 rifles on the shelves. All of the rifles available were well north of $1,000.00. Since then they have cut back on their hours due to lack of rifles. I don't expect that will change anytime soon and prices will increase especially with the recent executive order banning imports.

The banning of imports does NOT affect the CMP, since that enterprise is NOT an importer. They get their wares from the US Armed Forces, who in turn get the stuff from arsenal turn-ins and from MAP returns from abroad. The CMP prices will go up, but not because of the import ban.

Latest posts

Top Bottom