M1 Garand questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been thinking about and saving up for a Ruger blackhawk for a while now. However, recently I've been reading all I can about the M1 Garands (specifically the CMP Service Grade rifles now being offered).

The M1's are kinda "speaking to me". There just seems to be something about them.

1. Are they fun to shoot? My shooting consists of punching a lot of paper at the range. I am a member of the Stillwater Rifle and Pistol club, so I do have access to ranges up to 500 yards.

2. Are they money pits? Do they require a lot of maintenance to keep them going?

3. Are there many M1 shoots/competitions held here in Oklahoma?

Thanks!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll try my best to answer your questions:

1) This is subjective; for MY part, I think M1 Garands are an absolute hoot to shoot, but I've seen reactions from others ranging from "the same" down to "Oh, it kicks too much!" The M1 Garand has a sophisticated (for its day) iron sight setup with a peep rear and post front, and while most M1's will turn in 3-4 MOA, some will get down to near-MOA if the shooter does his/her part. This is for a bone-stock M1; you can tune one (mostly by floating the barrel) to get better accuracy.

2) The biggest outlay of cash will be in buying a M1; if you buy a good one with low MW/TE numbers and no cracked or worn parts, you can expect thousands of rounds of service out of it. If you're not worried about your M1 being a mixmaster (which most/all of the CMP Service Grades will be), then small parts will be pretty cheap. The next biggest expenditure will be in the ammo - at present, the CMP has the cheapest 30-06 ammo around, at about 50 cents a pop. It'd help if you reload.

3) This, I can't answer as I'm not into the competition side of shooting. I do know that Red Castle Gun Club has M1 Garand shoots several times a year.

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW - I dropped my order for a CMP M1 in the mail on Aug 28. It arrived yesterday! 11 business days!

It's amazing how quick the CMP is now that the government isn't running it any more.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've enjoyed every time I shot an M1. They have matches at our local gun range with them on the first weekend of every month (Ada). I don't know about parts. I believe that you can't shoot modern ammo through them, at least the 30-06 version anyway, without modification.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've enjoyed every time I shot an M1. They have matches at our local gun range with them on the first weekend of every month (Ada). I don't know about parts. I believe that you can't shoot modern ammo through them, at least the 30-06 version anyway, without modification.

A $30 adjustable gas plug will allow you to shoot commercial ammo without damaging the op rod. M2 ball is still affordable if purchased through the CMP. If I remember correctly, I purchased a case of HXP at the Oklahoma games for $89.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.garandgear.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm

http://www.alabamaservicerifleteam.com/id17.html

Check these sites out for info on M1's. Once you shoot one, you will be hooked. I can easily hit steel at 500 with surplus M2 ammo with my old warhorse. You can also load up 46.5gns of Varget with a 168gn Amax to mimic the Hornady Match Ammo. On the garandgear sight, also check out the post regarding shooting commercial ammo with their replacement gas plug. Schuster and McCann also make replacement plugs to moderate gas levels and protect the all mighty OP rod with heavier loads.

Here are specs from the Army Small Arms Ammunition Manual for M2 Ball which fired the 147gn FMJ. You can sub a 150 Nosler BT or Amax in with no problem, just work up for your gun.

CARTRIDGE, CALIBER .30, BALL, M2
Type Classification:
OBS - MSR 11756003.
Use:
Machine Guns, Caliber .30, M37, M1919A4 and
M1919A6; and Rifle, Caliber .30, M1. The cartridge is
intended for use against personnel or unarmored
targets.
Description:
BALL Cartridge. The cartridge is identified by a plain
bullet tip.
Tabulated Data:
DODAC.............................................. 1305-A212
UNO serial number ............................ 0012
UNO proper shipping
name ........................................... Cartridges for
weapons, inert
projectile
Weight ............................................... 416 gr
Length................................................ 3.34 in. (84.8
mm)
Tracer ................................................ NA
Primer................................................ Percussion
Fuze................................................... NA
Explosive:
Type ............................................ NA
Weight......................................... NA
Incendiary:
Weight ........................................ NA
Propellant:
Type ............................................ IMR 4895
Weight......................................... 50 gr
Performance:
Chamber pressure.............................. 50,000 psi
Velocity .............................................. 2740 fps, 78 ft
from muzzle
Shipping and Storage Data:
Quantity-distance class/
SCG ............................................ 1.4S
Storage code...................................... Class V
DOT shipping class ............................ C
DOT designation ................................ SMALL ARMS
AMMUNITION
Drawing number................................. 6137544
References:
SB 700-20
TM 9-1005-222-12P/1
TM 9-1300-206
5-9

Here is the M72 specs for a 173gn SMK for the match rifles. Again, work up for your personal rifles. Typically the M72 was loaded with 46-48gns of IMR-4895, depending upon the powder lot characteristics the military had at the time. I have heard of 50gns tearingoff rims and sticking cases, so I woul certainly work up from below the 50gn mark. I have heard and seen good reports with 47.5gns and a 175SMK.

CARTRIDGE, CALIBER .30, BALL, MATCH, M72
Type Classification:
STD - OTCM 37119.
Use:
Rifle, Caliber .30, M1; and Rifle, Caliber .30, National
Match. The cartridge is designed to be fired only in
weapons designated as competition rifles.
Description:
BALL Cartridge. The cartridge is identified by head
stampings on the base of the cartridge case with either
the initials NM (National Match) or the word MATCH.
The primer is uncrimped, the bullet has no crimped
cannelure, and the case is not crimped to the bullet.
Tabulated Data:
DODAC...................................... 1305-A247
UNO serial number .................... 0012
UNO proper shipping
name.......................................... Cartridges for
weapons, inert
projectile
Weight ....................................... 425 gr
Length........................................ 3.34 in. (84.8 mm)
Tracer ........................................ NA
Primer........................................ Percussion
Fuze................................................... NA
Explosive:
Weight......................................... NA
Incendiary:
Type................................................... NA
Weight ............................................... NA
Propellant:
Type................................................... IMR 4895
Weight ............................................... 50 gr
Performance:
Chamber pressure.............................. 50,000 psi
Velocity .............................................. 2640 fps, 78 ft
from muzzle
Shipping and Storage Data:
Quantity-distance class/
SCG ............................................ 1.4S
Storage code...................................... Class V
DOT shipping class ............................ C
DOT designation ................................ SMALL ARMS
AMMUNITION
Drawing number................................. 8595432
References:
SB 700-20
TM 9-1005-222-12P/1
TM 9-1300-206

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll try my best to answer your questions:

1) This is subjective; for MY part, I think M1 Garands are an absolute hoot to shoot, but I've seen reactions from others ranging from "the same" down to "Oh, it kicks too much!" The M1 Garand has a sophisticated (for its day) iron sight setup with a peep rear and post front, and while most M1's will turn in 3-4 MOA, some will get down to near-MOA if the shooter does his/her part. This is for a bone-stock M1; you can tune one (mostly by floating the barrel) to get better accuracy.

2) The biggest outlay of cash will be in buying a M1; if you buy a good one with low MW/TE numbers and no cracked or worn parts, you can expect thousands of rounds of service out of it. If you're not worried about your M1 being a mixmaster (which most/all of the CMP Service Grades will be), then small parts will be pretty cheap. The next biggest expenditure will be in the ammo - at present, the CMP has the cheapest 30-06 ammo around, at about 50 cents a pop. It'd help if you reload.

3) This, I can't answer as I'm not into the competition side of shooting. I do know that Red Castle Gun Club has M1 Garand shoots several times a year.

+1 on all of this.

But listen Septic_shock, when your guns start talking to you it's time to get real with life Dude. You need help! My guns started taking to me years ago and I got help. There's actually a 12 step program for help. But the first thing you have to do is make this statement to evey other gun freak you meet..."Hi, my name is Septic_shock. I am a gun nut." Now the 12 step program, 1) go to the range and expend the contents of one full magazing...the higher the capacity the better, 2) go to the range and expend the contents of two magazines, 3) go to the range and expend the contents of three magazines, 4)...

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Great info.

One other question regarding the CMP requirements...
I am under the impression that an Oklahoma CCW will count toward the shooting activity requirement. Is this correct?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are a hoot to shoot, and they are money pits. In the sense that once you own one, one will not be enough.

Buy the gun, not the story. There are tons of Garands out there...and lots of fake parts/stocks etc....I'd never buy a Garand from someone claiming to have an 'all original' or 'correct' Garand unless they had some verifiable provenance to go with it and/or I could lay my hands on it for a thorough inspection.

I suggest every first time Garand buyer make their purchase from CMP, you can at least be assured that you aren't getting any humped parts and you aren't getting something that some guy slapped together in his garage. After that, get some of Scott Duff's books and enjoy learning about your rifle.