M1 Garand questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are a lot of fun to shoot -- I don't have too many rifles I like shooting more. Mine has not been a money pit at all. I bought it from the CMP a few years ago and it has been nothing but dead reliable, with close to 2000 rounds through it so far. I have got it pretty hot, doing some pretty sustained rapid fire, and it just never misses a beat. I went to the Anniston, AL warehouse and picked it out myself. It is a Field Grade 1955 H&R and cost $500. It had a great barrel and throat, but the stock was a little beat up. That didn't bother me as I wanted a shooter -- and a shooter I got. Mine does around 2.5 MOA with Greek surplus. Just last weekend I used it to qualify Expert out to 400 yards on the old Army Qual. Test course of fire from when it was the main service rifle. That was at the Appleseed shoot at Grandfield, OK.

We do Appleseeds at several ranges all over the state. Attending an Appleseed would be the perfect thing to do with your new M1. We teach the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship from field positions, and we shoot the Army Qual. Test. We are all about turning this country back into a nation of Riflemen.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it a USGI stock? If so, can you post pics before you refinish it?

No, it was restocked by CMP with what looks like a coat of stain on it. It's really dry looking and don't know if it is walnut or birch. I will take some pics of it and post them. I've looked at alot of threads on the CMP forums about refinishing it but have been scared to pull the trigger for fear of messing it up. I've done woodworking and furniture refinishing in the past so I'm not sure what's holding me back. Probably because I've never done it on rifle.

I looked up the numbers on it with the help of a good buddy (761mph) and they are all 50s era. Barrel and receiver are H&R but the trigger group and other parts are SA.