M1 Garand Zero/Battle Zero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the spirit of the upcoming Winter Run and Gun Garand challenge...

Let's hear your preferred Garand zero/battle zero methods. Mine are set using the traditional FM method.

Do you use the traditional Army FM method?

Have you found an improved battle setting that gives you hits on man sized targets out to XX yards without touching the el knob?

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In the spirit of the upcoming Winter Run and Gun Garand challenge...

Let's hear your preferred Garand zero/battle zero methods. Mine are set using the traditional FM method.

Do you use the traditional Army FM method?

Have you found an improved battle setting that gives you hits on man sized targets out to XX yards without touching the el knob?

I have been playing around with this, I reset my sights so that 100 is actually my zero.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, my (now-)late grandfather told me about going through a Garand training session near the end of WWII. He and one other guy in the session had already fired their M1s in anger (Grandpa had his CIB at that point), so only the Army knows why they were there, but they were laughing at the instructor teaching the others how they were supposed to adjust the sights. He (Grandpa) said what you actually do in combat bore no resemblance to what the guy was teaching, but I don't recall what he said you should do. At the time, I'd never held a Garand, and it was too late to ask when I had one. :(

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put the gun in a rest and use a boreview mirror to aim the gun at the top of a fire hydrant that's just a bit over 100 yards from my back porch, turn the rear aperture up however many clicks are necessary, set the knob to the 100 mark, center the rear sight, and finally adjust the front sight as necessary to bring it in. Usually ends up being within a couple of inches at 100 and tracks closely enough at other ranges that I've rarely felt a need to tweak it in any farther.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone mess with battle zero yet? The old sights used to have an actual BZ setting, but the newer ones don't. I've heard multiple versions. 250, 300, 300 minus two clicks etc...

That's something I'll have to put in the calculator and then test on the range.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't heard of this Garand Challenge, but would be very interested. One of mine is zeroed @ 100 and shoots great groups. Any info would be appreciated.

The Winter Run n Gun up in Pawnee. Top finisher in the 10K option with a Garand is eligible for a special prize. Details in the competition section of OSA.

Come on out!

Latest posts

Top Bottom