M1 Garand Zero/Battle Zero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old basic training Sgt at Leonard Wood subscribed to the 25 yard zero. A zero hit at 25 yds will translate to a zero hit out at about 300 yds. Anything in between, and farther out is simply a matter of elevation adjustment, and not much at that. I was successful with this method out to 650 yds. Keep in mind, the operative word here is "battle sight", not target shooting.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 25m zero will equate to right around a 200 yard zero. I like to get an initial zero at 25m and fine tune at 200 yds. The "mil spec" BSZ method is to zero at 200 plus 2 clicks up for a 275 yd. zero, and is supposed to be good for hits on a dude from point blank out to 350 yds with a 6 o'clock hold on the torso... but I personally like to just leave mine at 200. That keeps POI within a few inches of POA out to 250 yds. Either hold off or adjust sights for anything further.

FYI the front sight is the width of a man-sized target at 275 yds.

DA 20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 The M1 Garand I was issued in the 7th Infantry Division, Korea 1953, had a small triangle pointing to the "3" on the elevation drum. I was told to forget the 300 yard zero and zero for 25 yards. As stated that zero works well out to 300 yards. Most of our shooting was well inside of 300 yards.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
25 yard zero on an M1 is pie plate accuracy out past 300 yards. Unless you're a sniper, that's pretty effective shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom