M1 Restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Garand that was given to me as a wedding gift by my in-laws. Near as I can tell it was manufactured during the Korean war and it's in pretty good shape. What I'm kind of thinking of doing is having the finish of my rifle's wood and metal restored. Is there anyone local to the OKC area, or perhaps even Tulsa that does that sort of work?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can vouch for Honeybee, he does good work. When you get it back it will look good and he can keep it period correct too. Every time I see one that's been made to look like a Weatherby Mark V I just want to cry.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We need to see some pictures before you go off "restoring" that old M1.

I agree. Unless the stock has been varnished or is splitting or cracking, you really shouldn't have to do much to get a "factory" finish - which consisted of dipping in either linseed or tung oil. If the stock is grimy, a wipe-down with citrus solvent, followed by several light, hand-rubbed applications of either BLO (boiled linseed oil) or PTO (pure tung oil - my preference), wiping off the excess oil in between applications, and you should be GTG.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. Unless the stock has been varnished or is splitting or cracking, you really shouldn't have to do much to get a "factory" finish - which consisted of dipping in either linseed or tung oil. If the stock is grimy, a wipe-down with citrus solvent, followed by several light, hand-rubbed applications of either BLO (boiled linseed oil) or PTO (pure tung oil - my preference), wiping off the excess oil in between applications, and you should be GTG.

What type and where do you get your citrus solvent? I'm assuming you aren't talking about the citrus based wood stripping products.

Also, welcome back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom