M1 Restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What type and where do you get your citrus solvent? I'm assuming you aren't talking about the citrus based wood stripping products.

Also, welcome back.

Thanks! Here's where I get my citrus solvent and PTO: http://www.realmilkpaint.com/

Their PTO lends something of a darkish honey-colored finish to walnut stocks; put more on, it'll get darker. But if you want to go darker faster, try their dark tung oil, which has more of a brownish tint to it; lately, I've been using dark PTO on an exclusive basis. After a cleaning with plain citrus solvent, I mix up either the PTO or dark PTO with citrus solvent, usually 50:50, and apply the mix to the stock in several coats. 8 oz. of either PTO or dark PTO will last you a long time - easily half a dozen dried-out stocks or more - but don't skimp on the citrus solvent. I ordered 32 oz the first time, and ran out fairly quickly, and am now about 1/4 of the way through a gallon. It's a bit pricey, but IMHO well worth it, and your gun room will have a pleasant citrusy smell once you're done ;)

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Garand that was given to me as a wedding gift by my in-laws. Near as I can tell it was manufactured during the Korean war and it's in pretty good shape. What I'm kind of thinking of doing is having the finish of my rifle's wood and metal restored. Is there anyone local to the OKC area, or perhaps even Tulsa that does that sort of work?

Becareful, sir. This is an incurable disease, Garanditis. I quit restoring the WWII ones years ago, the only cure I found was drinking. Now, don't know the others on this thread but perplexed I trust. Just sayin' from one in perpetual rehabilitation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom