M1153, the U.S. Army's New 9mm Load!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd have to look it up, but special operators fall outside of those treaties somehow. I'll have to do some research to back that statement up though.
Yeah, it get's really complicated, and has to do with non identified combatants (not in uniform) which produced a huge gray area..

But I understood these are going out as it to the US Army as a whole, not just special operators

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/4/23/m1152-m1153-the-army-s-new-9-mm-luger-loads/
From the American Rifleman article:

The Army’s lawyers determined that the use of hollow points by troops does not violate the Hague Convention of 1899. Army Col. Brian Stehle, who was the head of Project Manager Soldier Weapons, was quoted in a military.com article, “We have a law of war determination that stated that this type of ammunition is usable.” Other “Special Purpose” rounds, including open tip match (OTM) and .45 JHPs have already been used by Special Operations troops for some time.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly The Hague convention also outlawed aerial bombardment and poisonous gas use. The US didn’t ratify expanding bullets, poisonous gas use, or aerial bombardment. It’s always been on the table for us. My understanding of the use of ball ammunition for the bulk of the military is that it is due to the extreme amounts of ammo used and cost of said ammo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom