M16A1 parts Kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wondering if one of these will fit together with my grizzly lar lower and a commercial barrel? Experienced answers preferred over drive by comments.

Sportsmans guide has some that are in their opinion, "used, in excellent condition".

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you're not getting the "naughty" M16 parts (IIRC, hammer, bolt carrier, selector, and auto-sear), it should be fine--that's the nice thing about a mil-spec design. Back when I built my first AR, the cheep way was to buy a lower, then go to Numrich and buy an ex-GI M16 parts kit; they weren't pretty, but they were functional--parts is parts, as they say. The only thing "special" about AR15 parts is that the "naughty" M16 parts are the ones involved in selective fire. Unless they've changed the rules recently, owning the M16-specific parts and an AR15 is a no-no (unless you have the pretty blue tax stamp).

Edit: This assumes you don't have a Colt lower with the funky pins. IIRC, there were adapters made, but I've no experience with them. Then again, I don't know why you'd need a parts kit for a Colt lower, as I'm pretty sure Colt only sold complete rifles...

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you're not getting the "naughty" M16 parts (IIRC, hammer, bolt carrier, selector, and auto-sear), it should be fine--that's the nice thing about a mil-spec design. Back when I built my first AR, the cheep way was to buy a lower, then go to Numrich and buy an ex-GI M16 parts kit; they weren't pretty, but they were functional--parts is parts, as they say. The only thing "special" about AR15 parts is that the "naughty" M16 parts are the ones involved in selective fire. Unless they've changed the rules recently, owning the M16-specific parts and an AR15 is a no-no (unless you have the pretty blue tax stamp).

Edit: This assumes you don't have a Colt lower with the funky pins. IIRC, there were adapters made, but I've no experience with them. Then again, I don't know why you'd need a parts kit for a Colt lower, as I'm pretty sure Colt only sold complete rifles...

M16 Bolt Carrier can be used as is (most mfr's use M16 carriers nowadays). The M16 Hammer, Selector and Disconnector can be modified to AR15 specs by removing some metal. The M16 Trigger would have to have metal added to the rear of it to meet AR15 specs, so it would be easier to just buy an AR15 Trigger. The Auto-Sear is of no use at all and should be sold to an owner of a real M16.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Says it is missing the lower receiver, barrel, and disconnector. The pic shows the disconnector, but I don't see a sear. Maybe that's what they're calling the "disconnector"?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Says it is missing the lower receiver, barrel, and disconnector. The pic shows the disconnector, but I don't see a sear. Maybe that's what they're calling the "disconnector"?

If this is the kit the OP mentioned, the pic shows both a disconnector and auto sear. The auto sear is the part to the left of the selector. The disconnector is above the trigger.

[Broken External Image]

Last edited:

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. Now I need lower. If the political climate were different in this country, there would be mini vans all over the place handing out "Obama Lowers" .

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is the kit the OP mentioned, the pic shows both a disconnector and auto sear. The auto sear is the part to the left of the selector. The disconnector is above the trigger.

Guess I missed it. Still wonder which one they don't include, why leave out the disconnector but include the auto sear? Know what I mean?