***M1916 Spanish Mauser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD68

Marksman
Reaction score
I've seen a few of the 1916 Spanish Mausers that have been converted to 7.62 NATO. I'm thinking of getting one and I wondered if anyone has experience with one of them. From what I understand, you don't want to push .308 win through them...right? I also read that some were shooting a low recoil .308 win that was safe with regard to chamber pressures. Thoughts?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having that 1916 or FR-7 - is like owning a revolver that is marked 357 Magnum, chambered 357 Magnum, but designed to shoot only 38 Special loads: you end up kaboom sooner or later.

It is appetizingly chambered in common round, but the action is just not strong enough - I've heard reports of .001" bolt set back PER ROUND fired.

And, yes, you can make it last very long with reduced hand loads - except I've never heard of one them shooting very well.

So you end up with a weak rifle, that you have to make hand loads and it doesn't shoot well - I can see it happening with some sort of vintage/classic/historic firearm; but all that trouble just because Spaniards decided to play "bubba" ... not in my book.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Spanish Mauser marked 1899 Oviedo that is 7mm. I dont have to handload because i just get the ammo from Remington which I have been told is loaded at the same levels as it was in the early 20th century. Do you think this action could support .308? Just wondering, I have NO interest in changing the caliber.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Spanish Mauser marked 1899 Oviedo that is 7mm. I dont have to handload because i just get the ammo from Remington which I have been told is loaded at the same levels as it was in the early 20th century. Do you think this action could support .308? Just wondering, I have NO interest in changing the caliber.
I, myself, wouldn't. I would think that this would fall into the categorie, of which MoBoost referred.

warpusher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having that 1916 or FR-7 - is like owning a revolver that is marked 357 Magnum, chambered 357 Magnum, but designed to shoot only 38 Special loads: you end up kaboom sooner or later.

It is appetizingly chambered in common round, but the action is just not strong enough - I've heard reports of .001" bolt set back PER ROUND fired.

And, yes, you can make it last very long with reduced hand loads - except I've never heard of one them shooting very well.

So you end up with a weak rifle, that you have to make hand loads and it doesn't shoot well - I can see it happening with some sort of vintage/classic/historic firearm; but all that trouble just because Spaniards decided to play "bubba" ... not in my book.

Ok, I'll bite...which reports do you have that state the .001 bolt setback? If you have something I haven't been able to find from the internet inuendo/talk I'd love to see it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom