M38 m44 or type 53?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The M38. They are less common than the M44 or T53. They are fun little rifles. Sucks i remember when they were $80 all day for a laminate stock.

I wonder if buds will accept C&R FFL???

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most M38s were issued, rearsenaled and counterbored - I would not expect a good shooter.
M44 on general will be a cleaner rifle, most likely unissued, clean bore etc.
Type 53 are hit and miss.

I like to shoot - now all I have is M44 (even though I had a few M38s and Type 53s).

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting that so many people think counterboring results in an inaccurate rifle when all it does is remove crown imperfections which are the main cause of poor accuracy in all these old rifles.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting that so many people think counterboring results in an inaccurate rifle when all it does is remove crown imperfections which are the main cause of poor accuracy in all these old rifles.

Counterboring does not result in inaccurate rifle per se, like you said it is done to restore the crown; however the fact that the rifle HAD TO BE counterbored what is concerning. With Russian accuracy requirements being very low, can you imagine how bad the rifle had to shoot to get counterbored, and how much improvement you can expect.

Plus Russian counterboring methods were far from good.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never been convinced that counterboring was needed all that much, on either M38's or 91/30's (91's). I had 2 M38's as recently as about 3 years ago, both of which had been counterbored. However, the rifles themselves showed no indication of that kind of wear. You're certainly right in that there are a lot more M44's in really good condition. A lot of that is because the war was nearly over when they went into production and use. I've seen them apparently unissued with '46 and '47 dates on them.

I just don't like the bayonets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom