M9 Bayonet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would imagine they have fixed any problems by now but when they first came out shortly before I got out of the service I heard that the blade broke really easy. I never got one I had to stick with my old M7 so I don't have first-hand experience.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, I had a Phrobis M9. I couldn't really tell you how it stacked up as a bayonet (if we're down to the point where I'm participating in a bayonet charge, we're in deep doo-doo :D ), but, IIRC, it wasn't all that much as a knife. Not that it's a bad knife, and it's probably pretty good as a combination bayonet/knife (and a better wire cutter than most knives), but I'd think a purpose-built knife would be a better choice as a straight-up knife.

IIRC, its dual duty as bayonet/knife gave it a thicker blade than a regular knife, and the blade seemed like it would be more brittle than, say, a Ka-Bar (though I never actually tested that hypothesis).

Don't get me wrong; I liked the M9, and I keep thinking about getting another, but if you're looking for a knife, I'd just buy a knife. You can buy an Ontario M9 from Amazon for a bit more than $91, and a Ka-Bar is closer to $50.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I have a Ka-bar that is my dedicated "outdoor" knife, not that it will ever get used, I like it. I got the M9 a few years ago, just because I was planning on building an M16 replica, which hasn't happened yet. I got the M9 for $70, iirc, it's an Ontario Knife Company version in green and in new/unused condition. I have it in my bug out bag, so I guess I'll hang on to it just in case I decide to the M16 replica or need a wire cutter. Thanks all!

Latest posts

Top Bottom