Magnum tolerance grows with age?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of the 357 magnum. When the sp series came out, I bought one as quick as I could. Loaded it up, heavy. The recoil was massive and I quickly regulated the sp to 38 duty only. Over the years I have bought and sold many sp 101 revolvers. I just love the look and feel of the gun, but that recoil, I just couldn't get past.

A few months ago, I acquired another one sp 101 DAO. Did the action, springs, buffing the internals, sweet trigger. Went to the range yesterday with a bunch of 38, but also took 357 fodder. I wish I had brought more 357. Out of the little snubbie the fireball was big and the roar was loud. With stock grips, the little gun didn't punish me as I once remembered.

Have any of you revisited a gun and liked it better the 2nd time around?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recoil tolerance increases with technique and experience, but not with age and recoil damage to the nerve at the base of the thumb. Ask me how I know.
Even the fastest revolver shooter in the world lobbied for 8 shot minor power USPSA revolver to get away from the major power model 625 punishment.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just the opposite for me.

I used to like the big bore powerful loads, but now I wish guns in 22 caliber would do everything I need.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last weekend my 11 year old son shot the M66 using .38 spl. loads, he loved it. We are still working on harder kicking rifles. He did get to hit steel at 500 yards with the AR.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my .44 magnum at the late age of 18 and started reloading soon after to be able to afford to feed it. And feed it I did with the heaviest loads I could find using 2400, 4227 and ultimately my favorite load was, well lets just say, about a full grain over maximum of H110 (never any signs of overpressure in my Super Blackhawk BUT, DON'T try it please.) The huge fireball, the recoil up over my head and the look of amazement on peoples faces when they would watch and the fact that it was damn accurate in my gun caused me to go through thousands of these loads. Now at the very old age of 47 and unable to hold anything in my right hand for any length of time including a pencil without my hand going numb starting at the base of my thumb and working through the other fingers and up to my elbow, I wish someone had warned me way back when. I'm sure I would have listened...maybe. On the positive side I don't notice the recoil of my Smith 19 with full power loads any more than I do my .22.

Latest posts

Top Bottom