Magpul MBUS VS Troy BUIS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay so i've had my MBUS for awhile and it works so far but it looks cheap and I wanted to try the Troy "Di-optic" sight so I ordered one online. Then I came across this article. http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html It seems to suggest the MBUS are actually more durable and hold zero much better. I don't want to downgrade my equipment even though I just use it at the range or the woods on my friends land but I tend to run my stuff kinda hard. What is your opinion on these two sights is the Magpul really better or is it just luck of the draw that it held zero better than the Troy? Anyone try the "Di-optic" aperature and like it better than the normal peep? I'm probably gonna get a .22 AR and put one of the sights on it but I thought I'd put the Troy on my 5.56 cause it would be a better sight i'm just not so sure now.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Troy makes good stuff. Of course, I haven't had any trouble with my Magpul's either. I haven't dropped them on their sights to test for durability. While I'm glad the guy did the test, I wouldn't base your decision on that one test. As far as a diopter sight goes, I think it's a personal preference thing. I like the diopter rear sight and hope it serves you well.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dropped my rifle on it's sights once and the Magpul MBUS both front and rear snapped off. Contacted Magpul about it and they replaced them free of charge.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I dropped my rifle on it's sights once and the Magpul MBUS both front and rear snapped off. Contacted Magpul about it and they replaced them free of charge.

The test didn't specify if the sights were folded or up when dropped. I suspect that could have different results.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Were they Magpul's rifle-grade sights, or their PTS (airsoft) sights? How did you drop them (how far, how did it hit when it landed)?

I'm actually very curious about this - I've got a set of Troys on one rig and Magpul's on my son's.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on my use of both, I say the Troy's are better. The real question should be what's your application and how often will you actually employ the BUIS? If they're going to remain folded unless you remove a magnified optic (unlikely), I can't see spending $200+ on a set. If you're using them co-witnessed with a RDS, then I probably would.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ez bake said:
Were they Magpul's rifle-grade sights, or their PTS (airsoft) sights? How did you drop them (how far, how did it hit when it landed)?

I'm actually very curious about this - I've got a set of Troys on one rig and Magpul's on my son's.

Mine are the real deal full Monty BUIS, not the air soft ones. My sights were up and fell onto concrete from a shooting bench approx 3.5 feet from the ground and fell right onto the sights. They both snapped in the exact same place in the exact same failure shape at the corner of the minting dovetail. There are pics of them on this forum somewhere. I will search it out. If mine were folded down I am almost certain they would have been fine.

FOUND IT HERE On page 1 post #12 has the pics of the failure. Pics a re a bit blurry, couldn't get the camera to focus on what I wanted it to but you can see where they broke.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally like the LWRC backups more than the Troys. . .they cost about the same as the Troys, but have a better (in my opinion) style dioptic and front sight. They definitely handle abuse better than the Magpul backups on my other gun as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom