making a new sight blade for the 1903 springfield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
first off, does anyone have the pin removal jig i could borrow? if not, what is the best way to drive the pin out without flaring the pin? next, my gun is shooting WAY high. on closer inspection,a previous owner had filed the sight down slightly. maybe to shoot 600 yard matches. i would just buy one but being the cheapskate i am and add to the fact that i'm impatient, i want it done yesterday! this is a 1903A1 and not an A303, so, its lowest setting is 547yards. any suggestions or help is appreciated,thanks.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Numrich has one of those for about $`0, and probably that much for shipping.

If they've shortened it, it probably doesn't resemble the original anymore, anyway. So, you might solder, or even weld metal to the top of it and then shape it back down to the height you want.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard of people making new sight blades from old hacksaw blades. As for removing the sight pin drive it out with an appropriately sized punch and small hammer.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people making new sight blades from old hacksaw blades. As for removing the sight pin drive it out with an appropriately sized punch and small hammer.

its a TINY pin. i don't think i have anything small enough that isn't pointed. if i use something pointed i'm afraid i'll just flare it out.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Numrich has one of those for about $`0, and probably that much for shipping.

If they've shortened it, it probably doesn't resemble the original anymore, anyway. So, you might solder, or even weld metal to the top of it and then shape it back down to the height you want.

i've thought about that. i could do either one if i have to but if you've seen my welding ability...well lets just say, i'd be better off from scratch!

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used a 1/16" punch, maybe 3/32" cant remember, on my 1898 krag sporter/bubba rifle that has a 1903 front sight. I ordered blades from numrich. If I wasn't on my 7 night shifts I would say I would meet you half way (I'm in blanchard) with one of my spare blades I bought. If you dont have something by mid week let me know (numrich sells out of them time to time) and I'll dig around and find it.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just remember the bolt handle is on the right side. drive out left to right, drive in right to left. just like you do with sights.
the hole has a little taper.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
becker-thanks for the fine offer. i would be glad to drive to blanchard if i need to.
mr ed- thanks,i was wondering about that. there are punch marks on both sides of the blade and i wasn't sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom