Marines order Colt .45s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a former Marine Infantry Officer, (who toted a 1911 for many years before we adopted the humungously fat Beretta), I am fine with my beloved Corps selecting the venerable 1911 platform. I'd wager logistical concerns played a big role. A very big role. Personally, I often carry a Glock 36 , but if I was issued a 1911 (again), I'd have no complaints. I'd strap that ***** on and go accomplish my mission...with an M4 and a few good men.

This is one of my favorite quotes I have come to read on OSA mainly due to the last sentence in bold.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who? Somebody who wants to prove a point that you don't have to be like everyone else

Problem with that theory is that you have SEVERAL DSMs posted on your site. Just pointing a bit of irony since the car analogy always has to make its way into the discussion.

They got to spend $2k a pistol - I wouldn't spend it on 3lb "clunker" that holds 7 rounds.

I think we get that by now. I'm sure they will take into consideration that some guy behind a computer thinks he knows what's best for their needs.

Are you on my side now?

You're really looking for validation eh? But no.... I get why they want it and I would MUCH prefer the platform over a M9 or even a number of .45 polymer platforms. Especially considering it's for a more specialized purpose. Sorry this upsets the gear queer crowd.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, vocalize it! Help me change my mind - help me see the "light".

Cons
Finicky mags
Finicky extractor
Questionable "drop" safety.
Heavy all steel
45 acp is questionable in "killing" superiority and unquestionable in limiting capacity (over 9mm NATO)

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/06/08/read-this-before-you-buy-your-first-1911/

Uhhhh, no, it is not, particularly when both weapons are loaded with GC compliant ball ammunition. You must be in the big platform/small projectile camp? Less recoil doesn't hurted my paw?

All of the problems you cited are fixed in newer 1911's if you spec them right. Colt even makes a LW XSE Rail if the full steel is just too heavy. Furthermore a double-stack .45ACP is not appreciably larger in the grip than the M9 if capacity is a big issue.

T

ThomasA

First off, let it be known. I love the 1911 platform with every ounce of my being. AS a part of my private collection. I also would never own a Beretta 92. I'm not a fan of it at all AS a matter of personal preference.

Now, I personally carry an M9 (beretta 92 9mm) daily and I would curse the military every day I lived for forcing me to carry a 1911. Not because it's heavy, or because of the choice of caliber. But because in a situation where you need rounds, you only get 8. Their torture test isn't exactly awe inspring either. Ive put plenty of rounds through my M9, shot expert all of those times, and see absolutely nothing wrong with the paltform. These things have had thousands of rounds put through them, the finish is worn off, it's not pretty, it's beat to hell, but it ****in works. And if it ain't broke boys...

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ThomasA said:
First off, let it be known. I love the 1911 platform with every ounce of my being. AS a part of my private collection. I also would never own a Beretta 92. I'm not a fan of it at all AS a matter of personal preference.

Now, I personally carry an M9 (beretta 92 9mm) daily and I would curse the military every day I lived for forcing me to carry a 1911. Not because it's heavy, or because of the choice of caliber. But because in a situation where you need rounds, you only get 8. Their torture test isn't exactly awe inspring either. Ive put plenty of rounds through my M9, shot expert all of those times, and see absolutely nothing wrong with the paltform. These things have had thousands of rounds put through them, the finish is worn off, it's not pretty, it's beat to hell, but it ****in works. And if it ain't broke boys...

Ah I see this is still going.

Sir, as you can see, your use of logic and reasoning will most likely not be welcome here. Please only refer to fandom and/or attitude as a basis for argument.

T

ThomasA

Ah I see this is still going.

Sir, as you can see, your use of logic and reasoning will most likely not be welcome here. Please only refer to fandom and/or attitude as a basis for argument.

Hah good copy. in that case... the 1911 was perfect 100 years ago, and I own one so it must be the best. Thus, the marines will magically win all battles because let's be honest, the 1911 shoots itself and makes everyone an expert marksman.

Latest posts

Top Bottom