marlin 1895 45-70 18"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlw2123

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all I have an opportunity to get a marlin 1895 45-70 guide gun that has an 18" Bbl. Now i love me a lever action especially in a 45-70 BUT...isnt that kind of a short barrel for such a round? I would think to get the minimum oomph would be around 20 inches or more. does anybody have any experience with these or have anything to say good about this rifle/barrel? Still its a sweet machine but what is the true purpose?

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
with an average shooter using this for a max of 150-200 yrds.... then your question you should ask yourself, how far do I plan on shooting? Then ask yourself if your below average? :)

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are sweet & handle nice, you can load them up way past std 45-70 trap door loads, if its the one i'm thinking of ballard riffling not microgroove shoots cast real well. If it is the ported version it is loud. My buddy has the 45-70 & I have the 444 marlin in the 18in guide gun I would recomend it

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is mostly a safe queen but it thumps pretty much whatever it hits, feral dog or hunk of tree stump

I put AO ring & post sights on it, sandblasted it (Stainless) and buffed the stock with 4-0 steel wool to a satin finish. It's a beauty. Many choices for bullets- heavy and slower cast lead with GC/ or 300gr Barnes loaded fast. It's all good.

Go get it!

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one and its a shooter. Granted I don't do a lot of long range shooting with it, but it will touch rounds at 50 yards. I have shot mine out to 300 yds and can consistently hit a 8" target at that distance. Its a fun gun to hunt with especially under 150-200 yds!

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is mine had the big lever on it ordered the smaller one from Brownells 45-70 001.jpg

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the ss version w/the rectangle lever and I like it but I don't enjoy shooting it. It flat has some kick. The only time I have been able to hold it on target and pull the trigger was the very first time I shot it. Now I tend to close my eyes and prepare to get kicked. It is a blast though.

Dave70968

In Remembrance 2024
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love mine for hogs. Short, handy, and definitely delivers on the far end. Plus, I'm trying to work up some 300gr Barnes TSX loads for it. Reports are 2000 FPS at the muzzle, with expansion to .84" and 100% mass retention (when recovered, which is rare).

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old 70-something model with a 20" barrel. I had it re-finished, a Happy trigger installed (much better), an over-size loop, and the best recoil pad I could find. Forgot which one it is now. While I bought a box of ++P 405 grain jacketed bullets for Elk, Moose, and Griz, and a box of 500 grain jacketed +P for elephant, Cape Buffalo, etc (hey, you never know), I mostly shoot the LeverEvolution rounds. These are fairly flat shooting for the cartridge, and mild enough to shoot with the plastic butt-plate. I shot a couple of deer with it with impressive results. I don't really think the shorter barrel will make that much difference, and would make it a handier handling rifle. I also put a 1.5-5 compact variable scope on it with QD rings. I would probably remove the scope to shoot the bad-boy rounds to keep from getting "scope-eye".

Latest posts

Top Bottom