marlin 1895 45-70 guide gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlw2123

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all I have an opportunity to get a marlin 1895 45-70 guide gun that has an 18" Bbl. Now i love me a lever action especially in a 45-70 BUT...isnt that kind of a short barrel for such a round? I would think to get the minimum oomph would be around 20 inches or more. does anybody have any experience with these or have anything to say good about this rifle/barrel? Still its a sweet machine but what is the true purpose?

Chard

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a Guide Gun since they came out. I don't think a inch and a half of barrel makes much difference. My first 45-70 was a Ruger No1 with a twenty two inch barrel. It did not kill deer any better than my Guide Gun. My GG is amazingly accurate.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My guide gun is very accurate. Ive had it 5 yrs killed 2 bucks, 2 doe, 4 yotes and a armadillo. The green box 405s hardly have any recoil..bout like a 20g. The 300grainers are very snappy and a little painful. They also really make a mess on deer.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use my Marlin 45/70 Guide Gun as a short range brush gun. The shorter length is handy when manuevering through briars and brush. I put a set of Ghost Rings on mine and love the hell out of it! The hogs have learned to hate it though ...

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought and sold a Guide Gun. Loved it and will probably buy another one at some point in time. Definately a wide range of load capabilities in that rifle. anything from barely thump all the way up to making you second guess feeding the second round.

I was hunting in a friend's blind in TX in January. There was a handfull of .45-70 casings on the floor. One of their friends couldn't make a hit on any of the hogs nearly 175yds out.

My opinion. If you want that gun buy it with the expectation of it being limited to 100yds. Sure some can connect past that but your are getting to the limits of the combination.

Latest posts

Top Bottom