Marlin .22, Model 795 – Barrel Threading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need the barrel on my Marlin .22, Marlin 795 (standard thread – 1/2 x 28). I know the barrel can be threaded on this rifle, because I have seen people on several forums do it. As many of you probably already know, the barrel on this rifle is pressed into an aluminum receiver, and there is a small set pin that goes through it to help keep the iron sites aligned (which I don’t use). The barrel can come out, but I’ve heard that it doesn’t have to come out in order to be threaded.

I have contacted everyone in my area (Tulsa, OK), and it seems like all of the gunsmiths are either retiring, or they are backed up for 2 - 3 months! I don’t have to have it done RIGHT AWAY, but I’d like a faster turnaround time than 2 - 3 months.

Anyone know someone in Oklahoma that can do this?

Attachments

• marlin795barrel.jpg
    marlin795barrel.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 242

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me know how they do. I have a 300WM I need done.

Will do. It is on the way back to me now. The guy's name over there that worked on my Marlin is Keith. Really nice guy. He charged half of what the other two people quoted me from 2 different shops, and he did it in 4 days. I should have it back tomorrow or Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I have tested the Marlin 795 with my can, and it works AWESOME!! Keith did a fantastic job on the barrel threading. He only charged me $75 to do it. Everyone else I spoke to wanted at least $150. Worth every penny if you ask me.

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you have the brass-piloted drill bit and 3/8" fine thread tap, you can counterbore and thread a .22lr barrel in 5 minutes. :-) I've done so over 80 times. Having the female thread in the barrel gets rid of all the hassles of having to remove the barrel, re-mount the front sight, etc.