Mauser Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixpakofdwarves

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently picked up a sporterized Mauser for cheap. I know the original gun was chambered for 7.65x53mm. Now I know a lot of these were re-chambered when brought over to the US, is there anyway I can tell if it has been re-chambered without taking it to a gunsmith? And if I do need to take it to a gunsmith who would be a good one in the OKC area? I called H&H and they want to charge me $85 to do it, that seems a little steep for not actually having to do any work on the gun.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how you could tell for sure without a headspace/chamber tool. What do you suspect it's been chambered for? The bore in that should be .311 vs a true .308, if you're adventurous you could try closing the bolt on different ammo and taking a guess - but that's not too safe.

sixpakofdwarves

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am just not sure it has been rechambered. I was reading up on them it said a lot them had been rechambered and the estate sale where I got it did not know. I will probably take it to a gunsmith, but I don't really want to pay $85 to get it checked. That's what I paid for the stupid thing!

sixpakofdwarves

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be safe and do (or have done) a chamber cast. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...rosafe-reg-chamber-casting-alloy-prod384.aspx

Closing the bolt on different ammo is a crap shoot, and could be costly if the trigger gets pulled. My 6mm rem will fit nicely into a 7x57, 7mm mag into a .300 win mag...............you get the point.

Well, that brings me to my next question. Any suggestions on where to take it in the OKC area? And is $85 a lot to charge for that?

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, that brings me to my next question. Any suggestions on where to take it in the OKC area? And is $85 a lot to charge for that?

85 dollars is probably half of what the gun cost and a ridiculous amount. I'm assuming its a model 95 action? I think what you're thinking of is the mausers that got rechambered to .308 by brazil. They will be obviously marked. Some were rechambered to .30.06. Again they will be marked. Pics will help a lot.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Not sure on the price to have it done. It's not hard to do yourself, but by the time you buy the casting matierial, and a set of calipers, if you don't already have them, it may be about the same price to have it done.

sixpakofdwarves

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
85 dollars is probably half of what the gun cost and a ridiculous amount. I'm assuming its a model 95 action? I think what you're thinking of is the mausers that got rechambered to .308 by brazil. They will be obviously marked. Some were rechambered to .30.06. Again they will be marked. Pics will help a lot.

1891 Argentino, it is not stamped that I can see. But a scope was added so it's possible it's under that. I will take pictures tonight and post them.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call Steve Baldwin of Mechanical Accuracy and see what he would charge you to determine the chambering.

405 399 2875

His shop is in Jones, but I suspect the savings will be worth the drive.

I had an Argentine 1909 that had been rechambered to 30-06. Bought it for the action, and expected it to be a hose because of the 7.65 bore. Damned thing shot dime size groups at 100 with iron sights. Kept it as a backup for years, and finally sold it in the great FJ fundraiser. It had been sporterized, rather nicely, by either Sears or Wards many years ago. Apparently one of them bought literally a shipload of them and did a factory sporterization.

I'm not sure a go/no gauge has any application here other than the obvious safety consideration of headspace.

Latest posts

Top Bottom