MBAR for competition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wanting to start participating in local club's MBAR shoots. Nothing real serious, just for fun, but I'd still like to make a decent showing. I'd like suggestions on which rifle to buy for this purpose. The only rifle I own at this time is a Mosin that is a hoot to shoot but not accurate enough for competition. Thanks for any help.

cz_partizan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Swiss straight pull rifles would be one of the easiest with surplus ammo.
Other candidates that always seem to be in the upper echelons are 1903 Springfields , Finnish Mosins and Swedish M96's.
Most rifles, even mosins, will be more accurate than you are, especially when properly shimmed and paired with good reloads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A reply to OP and responses both above:

The K31 is accurate and qualifies for MBABR but the surplus match ammo is drying up if not already and its too highly priced now. You will need to start reloading anyways. I find it more difficult to perform with as the sight radius is short. Bullets for reloading are .308 diameter and cheap.

Mosin 91/30's are hit an miss(quite literally) when it comes to accuracy(mine aren't) but the finnish mosins have a good reputation for accuracy. Bullets are slighty harder to find (.311-.312) but hornady makes an inexpensive match .312 bullet that works well.

Swedish mausers and springfield 1903's are the most common at the matches due to reputation of accuracy and popularity but other rifles can be just as accurate. I personally don't like that many 1903's have new arsenal replaced barrels and they are allowed in MBABR but whatever. Get one with a good bore if possible but I have an antique krag 1898 with a horribly pitted bore and it shoots great.

I shoot Chilean 7mm 1895 mauser, Swedish 6.5mm 1896, swiss k31, and the krag 1898. I have only shot a perfect 300 with the Swede though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom