Medical Bag: Do you have one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Weasel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a bag just for medical purposes, has any one started to build one? Putting essiantials in it needed to deal with minor wounds. When I mean minor I include anything that won't require major surgery. I figur if its that bad probably not going to make it. What you got in yours?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive got a home made one. 4x4's, abdominal pad, flexible splint, some quick clot, tape, emt shears, ace wrap, cravat(sling). some odds n ends. I posted contents in another thread somewhere.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this, but I'm just not sure where to begin.

Start with a good bag. Its been my experience that i use 4x4 gause sponges more than anything else.

I was taught that after CPR, comes controlling bleeding, bandaging, splinting, ect. Its been along time but i think i can stop most bleeding with 4x4s, an abdominal pad and tape.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
something to keep in mind for those who build up trauma bags. throw out the suture kits. if you don't know what you're doing or which sutures to use in a given circumstance, you'll do more damage than good. replace them with instant bond type sealers and staplers. both are stupid simple to use and are very effective.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will throw in a shameless plug for my business. This is the bag I have. I have a friend who bought the big bag from Cheaper than Dirt ($499)
This one from Doom and Bloom is hands down a more complete bag, more money but worth it. I have a comparison on a spread sheet between the CTD
and the DAB large family bags. Won't post but will send private.
http://www.bestchoicepreps.com/product/MED-FMB.html

For your pack, I sell these two smaller trauma bags.
http://www.bestchoicepreps.com/product/MED-PCTK.html

http://www.bestchoicepreps.com/product/MED-MTB.html

All of these bags are selected by a prepper doctor and hand assembled by his nurse wife. If nothing else, use the list of items included in the bags and decide if it is worth the time and effort to locate all this stuff, or just buy it.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was tought to Start the breathing, Stop the bleeding, protect the wound, treat for shock and all of my various first aid kits are set up with this in mind.
I have a USMC IFAK on my BOB, and another on my Chest Rig. They are really put together with big bleeding in mind. I have added some stuff for the minor stuff like a headache and small scrapes. I keep a larger First Aid Kit in my car, it is about the size of a large fanny pack. It has everything that I would think might be needed to keep someone from bleeding to death at least untill they can get to a hospital. I also have SAM Splints, pain meds, tummy meds, ointments, bandaids, duct tape, alchol wipes, hand sanitizer and surgical gloves. I also have a stitching kit in the bag as well but I really do not know how to use it. I guess that I could figure it out but it is there. I have one way CPR masks, oral airways (2 sizes) and even an eye cleaning kit.
So far I have used the kit twice on myself (wrecked 4 wheelers and an unbelivable story about a wounded owl) and 2 times on family. SO far nothing serious of course but that kit was the only first aid kit and there were usually at least 3-5 cars around each time it was used.
It could be a better kit..........BUT it is the gear that you have on hand that will get used in an emergency.
Just do not forget to refill the thing after you use it.
CHEERS

mrsgomezclan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely better to make your own kit or buy a good one. Most of the ready made kits i have seen have a lot of useless tiny bandaids, dried out towelettes, and a ridiculous amount of aspirin.

Just my opinion, im not a doc or emt though. Been through the regular minor wounds of childhood what with having 6 boys, lol. Although the girls do their fair share of getting scrapes and bruises too.

Lots of large bandaids, i think the knuckle and fingertip ones are useful as well. 4x4 gauze, tape, quick clot, scissors, bandages, a few finger splints, instant cold/hot packs, peppermint oil works well for headaches and nausea and faintness. Electrolyte solution. Absorbent pads. Im sure lots more that i cant think of at the moment.

Should get some of that liquid bandage also. Does anyone know if its true that superglue can be used to seal cuts?

Latest posts

Top Bottom