Melting lead today to make ingots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, nobody here is involved in 'smelting' lead.
Smelting involves very high temps, and rocks, and getting the mineral/element out of the rock in which it is trapped.
What we do is more like rendering. Melting it down to liquid, and removing impurities.

There is a big difference.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be melting more today.
I wheel and deal and I bet I have less than 50c per pound in my lead.
last check standard scrap iron sold it for 80 cents a lb.
People toss metal all the time and i collect it from them many times they bring it to me .I take it to standard scrap iron and get money.
With that basically free money I can buy steel sheet scrap or lead or aluminum and even got brass cases from them.
Win Win.
I figured it up a few years ago and 3 bucks for 50 rounds of cast bullets at the most is what it cost me.
That is loaded ammo.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis,
Thanks for the warning, I had already been considering the dangers of lead. I think I would get an actual lead melting electric pot to regulate the temperature.
Where is everyone buying lead from?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
scrap yard and sometimes craigslist.

Lead itself does not put toxic fumes off until you boil it. We are far from boiling.
The contaminants in it can and will put off toxic fumes.
I melt outside in this shed. shed is open but no car in there currently.

Pretty safe bet on safety in there with gravel floor

57.jpg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@swampratt , so I just started this whole roll your own thing and have everything I need except lead... where do you recommend I get it?

Check around the tire shops in your area. Sometimes you can buy their old wheel weights from them. There's a pretty good market for them actually, with people casting fishing weights and bullets. i know some tire shops have customers who buy every old wheel weight they've got, so that supply is already committed. Just have to look around. Then, be prepared to sort out all the trash and other materials you cannot use before you start melting. I recently bought an overflowing 5-gallon bucket that weighed 147 pounds for $35. I still haven't sorted out all the trash, zinc, steel, aluminum, etc. to know how many pounds of useable wheel weights I've got!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom