MetCalf Gun Show Sept. 10-11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I hope Trish and Jerry have modified the business practices of the old Metcalf shows. Vendors were pressured to keep prices high or risk being thrown out. Essentially the shows were run like a cartel operation with free trade/dealing discouraged in favor of ensuring that prices were kept high on average - didn't apply to private collections as much but was the rule for gun and ammo dealers. Such practices might benefit a few dealers but as a buyer I want and expect sellers to compete on price & value...bottom dollar isn't everything but all other things being equal it is a tiebreaker.

Seriously? You have first-hand knowledge of this? Or word of mouth or what? I'm trying to guess what the benefit of keeping prices high would be to Mr. Metcalf. I mean, he charges whatever for a table, it's not like he gets a commission on sales, does he? Or did, I suppose?

Anyways, this is the first I've heard of this and it sounds even worse than what I previously thought about his shows and business practices, if it is true.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Buddy of mine went and picked up a beautiful Norinco preban underfolder for $1100, late in the show. Hell of a deal, so there's deals to be had, even at the smaller shows.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I hope Trish and Jerry have modified the business practices of the old Metcalf shows. Vendors were pressured to keep prices high or risk being thrown out. Essentially the shows were run like a cartel operation with free trade/dealing discouraged in favor of ensuring that prices were kept high on average - didn't apply to private collections as much but was the rule for gun and ammo dealers. Such practices might benefit a few dealers but as a buyer I want and expect sellers to compete on price & value...bottom dollar isn't everything but all other things being equal it is a tiebreaker.
Why would they care about pricing being high or low? I feel like if pricing was low they would get more people in the door paying their 15 dollar entry fee.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Seriously? You have first-hand knowledge of this? Or word of mouth or what? I'm trying to guess what the benefit of keeping prices high would be to Mr. Metcalf. I mean, he charges whatever for a table, it's not like he gets a commission on sales, does he? Or did, I suppose?

Anyways, this is the first I've heard of this and it sounds even worse than what I previously thought about his shows and business practices, if it is true.
I was thinking the same thing... What does it matter. If prices were lower more people would come... Doesnt he get 100% of the entry fee required?

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I assumed the same thing - low prices = more buyers. However, what these dealers claimed was that part of the draw for some favored dealers was essentially a guaranteed higher cost environment to offset low volume sales - if you were a smaller dealer your marching orders were to not interfere with the larger dealers' business or risk getting tossed. However, I cannot claim first hand knowledge, I wasn't a dealer.

Doesn't a similar issue arises re:entry fees. How does, for instance, Navy Chief survive with $7.00 entry fees, many discounted to $6.00, and table prices the same as Metcalf for longer tables? Wouldn't logic suggest that lower entry fees for Metcalf would bring in more and would be a bigger draw for more vendors for the smaller tables at, proportionally, higher prices.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hmmm I wouldn't think they'd care about entry fees. Yes more would come but I don't think it would be enough to lower prices. As for keeping prices high I guess it's more fair to smaller dealers who can't get as low as some places but we live in a free market society so I feel like that should reflect the show but it is a private show... Now if they advertised high prices then were willing to deal that would be a different thing but most people wont from my experience.

Last edited:

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well I'm heading to my first gun show in 5 years. Wanted to check out Cops Gun Shop in the city today because they have 2 guns that are kind of hard to find that I know I want to buy at least one of them and I get there and they are closed because of a gun show in Chickasaw. Annoying but ok so I'm heading that way cause I have nothing to do today .

Also WTH, why is the turnpike on the way to Chickasaw torn up? It was fine! I'll never understand ODOT projects.

Another thing, on the website that I went to after I found out Cops was closed said they specifically said no scensy, we will see if that holds true! Hopefully they have good stuff

Last edited:

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Alright just got back and there was mostly guns there. Some crafty things but mostly guns! I didnt end up buying anything because Cops didnt bring one of the guns I wanted. They did Have the other that I wanted which was an ATI 9mm Carbine. The owner offered me 30 bucks off the purchase price so they are willing to deal with you at the show and a couple of other vendors did the same. There were a few collection tables and then a bunch of knife tables with a few moldy guns on them. All in all I liked it but still most of the stuff I just wasnt interested in buying. I did enjoy seeing some of the older firearms that people had on display so that was fun.

Now there was some crafty tables, I did see a few figurines and such as well as coin sellers and leather sellers but there wasnt near as many as some shows.
@tRidiot I think you would have liked this one maybe.

What I dont understand is how these gun show vendors make any money. Especially the people hawking walmart knives and other junk and surplus gear. Most gun salesmen say they only make 50 -80 bucks on a gun and yet they have 4 or 5 tables at 40 bucks a pop, by that logic youd have to sell at least one gun per table to make anything worth your time I feel like.

Last edited:

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Not sure why I have a feeling that the new "owners" may have some connection to Mr. Warren Metcalf. I don't know that, but anyone who is intentionally using his name will never see a dollar (or a dime) of my money.
From what I have heard is that keeping Metcalf's name and giving the warrens a table at all their shows were a part of the deal they made with the new owners ??

Latest posts

Top Bottom