Might Buy a Yamaha R1 Thats Been Sitting a While

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
saw one at a pawn shop near my house and it is priced pretty cheap, $3,600 for a 2008 R1. Problem is, they took it on pawn 3 or 5 years ago (cant remember) and it has been sitting in storage and hasnt been started ever since. They said they wont let me try to jump start it because the gas and oil are bad. Its covered in dust and looks like their story is legit, title is clean and it supposedly has less than 5,000 miles.

I doubt it will last long at that price but wondering if any of you had some tips on what to look for before I buy it. I will have to at least turn the key on to verify mileage and I plan on draining some oil to inspect for metal shavings and what not. Anything else? Ive had 2 Yamaha R6s in the past so kinda sorta familiar with sport bikes but looking for any advice so I don't end up with lemon.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i.imgur.com_cNbALg7.jpg

i.imgur.com_bqUlzsH.jpg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check the tank and see if it's rusted. You're going to have to take the carbs apart and clean them thoroughly. Make a deal with them on a price before you clean the carbs and drain the tanks. I doubt the battery will be worth messing with if it hasn't been on a trickle charge, so go down to walmart and pick up a cheap one.
That's a great price....IF

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I dont know. Some of those sportbike guys, and I have owned a few myself, treat their bikes like ****. Especially if it has pipes on it. But those are nice pipes so the guy might have taken care of it.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea their will be some pretty serious negotiations taking place. Its a big risk and could end up a home run with a worst case scenario of me breaking even minus some time and effort.

I already know they wont guarantee it to be in perfect working order and that is part of the reason it is basically half price.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yea their will be some pretty serious negotiations taking place. Its a big risk and could end up a home run with a worst case scenario of me breaking even minus some time and effort.

I already know they wont guarantee it to be in perfect working order and that is part of the reason it is basically half price.

I was meaning that it WOULD ACTUALLY run and ride like it's supposed to after the battery and fluids are changed, etc. You know, not have major stuff like a broken gear, piston, stuff like that. There is probably no way for them to know either and they need to assume some risk too and not pawn it all off on you the buyer. If they are going to stick to their guns it needs to be less than half price IMO. I doubt you could get a dealer to replace an engine for that in their service center. Look at it this way, it was probably running when they took it in. Now it sets and deteriorates for 5 years and they want you to gamble on it? I can't stop wondering why they just don't have it cleaned up and serviced and sell it for market value?

Latest posts

Top Bottom