military rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got excited for a few minutes. My bro-in-law says "hey I got this old military rifle I need to get rid of. Got nothing in it. Did a guy a favor. Think it's a Mauser. Gonna try to sell it." I'm thinking....cool....might add one to the stable.
He brings out a sporterized Argentine 91. Chopped barrel, chopped stock, markings almost all gone, bolt cocking piece brazed up.....bore looked OK. Could read just enough of the markings to see it was made in Germany.
Oh well. Did a little research for him to help find a starting point and wished him luck.

BTDT. I've had several people ask me if I'd be interested in buying an old military rifle, which always gets me excited. Then they bring out a seriously Bubbafied monstrosity, and my ardor subsides rather quickly...

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those interested there is a trapdoor 30-40 Krag at a shop here in town. Didn't hold it but it looked original. Also an 03A3 in a plastic stock but the metal is all original, replace the stock and you should be back to original. I bought a sporterized one with the barrel chopped to 22 inches for a project( that way I won't feel bad for butchering a collectible).

revo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those interested there is a trapdoor 30-40 Krag at a shop here in town. Didn't hold it but it looked original. Also an 03A3 in a plastic stock but the metal is all original, replace the stock and you should be back to original. I bought a sporterized one with the barrel chopped to 22 inches for a project( that way I won't feel bad for butchering a collectible).

Those Krags are weird looking.

How much was it?

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MoBoost said:
Nazi and German are not the same thing, and the difference should not be taken lightly.

Both SS and NKVD committed some of the worst crimes against humanity and have lost family members to both. With that said, I do not think that it should be glamoured or valued over it's face value. It's important to remember the history - but for me the line between historical piece and "yall, I got me a jew-killer" is just too fine. To collect something you have to have some kind of connection or admiration about the subject - and Nazis deserve neither.

Despite all the Stalin's atrocities - Mosin Nagant represents to me a common man fighting for his country against foreign aggressor, and even more so with Finn examples.

So, why would YOU want to own an SS weapon.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/why-would-anyone-collect-nazi/

Why would one want to own an SS weapon or any other SS artifact? Beyond not only the history and before listed reasons, maybe these items are sometimes sought after by citizens of this country that had past relatives that were "drafted" into service by their country. Do you really think that ALL "Nazi's" intentionally meant for these acts to happen, or had any control over them? Or intentionally enlisted to specifically carry out the acts which transpired? I am sure there were a few that did. Either way, some individuals give sentimental value to items that connect with their ancestry and/or past relatives...

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It usually pisses me off when someone suggests letting something old die. However, in this case, I'm also getting a little tired of the never-ending "nazi" stuff. Can't we just talk "military rifles"?

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest difference is that American/Soviet/other war crimes were condemned by their regimes and ideology - in SS case it was encourage and accepted.

So, you think that the USAAF's firebombing of the civilian populus in Dresden in 1944 was "condemned by their [our] regimes and ideology"? What about the incendiary bombing of Tokyo in 1945? In both those instances -- and there are many more that weren't so catastrophic to civilians -- non-military targets in the home nations were targeted with official sanctioning by the US Government.

Get real; no country holds the moral high ground in terms of atrocities that have occurred during wartime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom