military rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Carefull once you get your hands on a K-31, its the closest thing to a semi-auto bolt action rifle out there, and has been known to drive men crazy trying to find a bolt action rifle that can keep up, or shoot as well as the K-31. If your going after a WWI 1903, make sure its a high serial number, the early ones were not as well heat treated as their older brother's. Mausers, well now thats just a mouth full, cause they come in all styles and configurations. Now here is where my prejudice comes in, an most is due to my upbringing, I can't stand them, an refuse to insult my collection by putting one of those Jap rifles in my safe. SMLE's are just cool, stay away from the jungle carbine, unless you like to abuse your shoulder. 91/30's, well I haven't met a bad one. Finn M39's are class acts period! Swed Mausers in 6.5X55 are the cats meow!! Now all of this is JMHO, I'm sure someone will come along and say something totally different, an thats their opinion, as this is mine.

OH!! Good luck traveling down this path!!!!

Last edited:

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My list of must-haves:
Wartime 91/30
03-A3
M96 Swede
Wartime K31
Savage SMLE

LDP4570: you should take M96 for a spin - maybe it will change your mind about mausers - however I will not own a Nazi gun.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LDP4570: you should take M96 for a spin - maybe it will change your mind about mausers

I can attest to the accuracy of Swedish M96's. A M96 that's received the FSR treatment (sanctioned modifications done by or for the official Swedish shooters club) and has a diopter setup is one heck of an accurate target rifle.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we only had a C&R sub-forum. Oops, sorry!

I hope you have a lot of money and a very big gun safe. Even if you restrict yourself to bolt-actions, the list is long and trying. I'd do like ldp4570 says and pick a few of the best to begin with. They're getting harder and harder to find.

M96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 (maybe the sweetest bolt action ever)
K31 Swiss 7.5x55 (not a bolt action, but even sweeter; would cost a potful to make them today)
M39 Finnish 7.62x54 (gives Mosin a whole new meaning)

Shoot, I'm gonna stop right there. There are too many to list. Buy what you can. As you can see, one problem with collecting these guys is that you wind up with more different kinds of ammo than WalMart.

BTW, if you ever run onto a Luxemburg Mauser, don't ask questions, just get it.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want a nice, war-time K98. All the waffenamts intact. Of course, a nice GI bring-back, numbers matching, or one with no import marks would be best, but those are priced out of my budget. My biggest problem is it being a legit rifle; there are too many people and companies marking them up now to try and increase the value. Maybe I should save my money and go for the nicest I can find.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My list of must-haves:
Wartime 91/30
03-A3
M96 Swede
Wartime K31
Savage SMLE

LDP4570: you should take M96 for a spin - maybe it will change your mind about mausers - however I will not own a Nazi gun.

Sorry, just realized I messed up my original post, its the Jap rifles I have no use for!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom