military rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you are willing to invest a heck of a lot of time and study, I'd stay away from Mausers as collectors. I'm speaking now of those you've described that bring big bucks. You are quite right in the fact that there are counterfeits out there, some of them very good. Mausers seem to be the most affected.

XDTACTICAL

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
mausers are in general robust,smooth,soild rifle,any swiss is like thier watches dead on accurate!m1 and 1903's well thier american made and served us well.jap rifles are cool but,ya and the british rifles are nice but man are they ugly,and the russian stuff is cheap,and simple minded,but gets the job done.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you are willing to invest a heck of a lot of time and study, I'd stay away from Mausers as collectors. I'm speaking now of those you've described that bring big bucks. You are quite right in the fact that there are counterfeits out there, some of them very good. Mausers seem to be the most affected.

That's the problem: I want one (or more) as collectors. If only I could find one at an estate sale of a WWII veteran!

I've read before of the "Mitchell's Mausers", and others that have clouded the gene pool. If anyone knows of a legit rifle with all the markings (and pretty much unmolested), let me know.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I have the WWII theme going for me.

German- I have a vz24 mauser
British- I have an Enfield
American- M1 Garand, M1 Carbine
Russian- Mosin Nagant(Configured as a sniper rifle)

Saving up for a 03A3, Japanese rifle, Mas-36(would rather have mas-49/56), Also 12gauge trench shotgun.

But I can dream that I can finish my collection before the guberment takes all my guns.(sarcasism).

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, there are SOOOOO many choices out there. I'd suggest starting small and inexpensive. If you like it (and you very probably will), you can expand your knowledge and collection from there.

A couple of great starter options are the Mosin 91/30 and a Yugo Mauser. They're both readily available, can be found in very good to near new condition, ammo is readily available and cheap and are generally good shooters making them fun to own and shoot. Just for an idea of the costs involved, you can get the Mosin for 100 bucks or less. You can find Yugo 24/47 and M48's for $150-200. Ammo for either is around $75 for a can of 400-450 if you shop around or find a deal at a gun show. You might want to get a slip on rubber butt pad to. That's a lot of pounding from a steel plated buttstock for the uninitiated.

Welcome to the insanity.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummm why is this??? You wont own a german mauser yet you want a mosin used by commies??? Heck if i had the scratch and could find a deaths head SS K98 i'd own it
Nazi and German are not the same thing, and the difference should not be taken lightly.

Both SS and NKVD committed some of the worst crimes against humanity and have lost family members to both. With that said, I do not think that it should be glamoured or valued over it's face value. It's important to remember the history - but for me the line between historical piece and "yall, I got me a jew-killer" is just too fine. To collect something you have to have some kind of connection or admiration about the subject - and Nazis deserve neither.

Despite all the Stalin's atrocities - Mosin Nagant represents to me a common man fighting for his country against foreign aggressor, and even more so with Finn examples.

So, why would YOU want to own an SS weapon.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/why-would-anyone-collect-nazi/

Latest posts

Top Bottom