military rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as of now i have a M1 garand,91/30 nagant,VZ24,OVIEDO Spanish Mauser,and want a MAS36,Type99 Arisaka,Italian Carcano,Lee Enfield,K98,GEW88,1891 Argentine,and a Siamese Mauser.when i turn 18 and can purchase rifles myself my collection will skyrocket

Does your Arisaka have the chrysanthemum flower stamped on it?

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad when he was at the Colo school of trades (gunsmithing school in denver) in the late 50's test a Arsiaka with about 4 Blue pill poof loads - cracked the stock at the forearm and wrist and needed a 2x4 to open the bolt.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am one of those EVIL people that love to shoot WW2 rifles, but I buy those that have been "sporterized" to do it. Besides you can usually find those cheap. I have a No4Mk1 and an 03a3 that I love shooting.

On the Jap vs Japanese subject. I usually use Jap when referring to the rifles and Japanese when referring to the people, and know a lot of collectors that do too. I have owned several Type 38s and 44s through the years and enjoyed shooting them all. If you are very lucky, you will occasionally stumble across one that the Chinese converted to 7.62x39.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Czech vz.24 and a Type 38 Arisaka. The money a Garand or an M1 Carbine cost is just plain out of my financial reach.

I'd love to get a K31. I have a C&R FFL and no money.... Go figure.... ;)

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True: Einsatzgruppe - they were scumbags, along with the Allgemeine-SS. There were lots of scumbags in the Waffen-SS too, but I also realize there were some in the latter group who weren't. There were lots of guys transferred into the SS, and some were conscripts. That's why I don't condemn all of them.

Look, I'm not sticking up for them; but the notion of "I don't want to own a rifle used by German troops because one might have shot a civilian" is bizarre to me. So don't include any Russian guns, what with the atrocities they committed. I can come up with pics of dead Poles or German civilians killed by the Red Army - does the possible murder of them not bother your gun-conscience?

I'm going to agree with you on the bold part. I didnt mean to start a racial debate or even a debate period. The russians wernt perfect either,they'd shoot their own troops for retreating.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't blame Germans for what SS did, but saying that SS is not responsible for what happened is ridicules. Eventually there were just over 1 million SS members, that are DIRECTLY responsible for systematic murder of 20 million CIVILIANS.

So when you take that SS marked weapon, load it, and squeeze one off - what flashes in your mind - is it 8 kids, or is it 8 women, or is it 4 elderly - that's how much innocent blood is each and every one of them.

What is bizzare to me that you would choose to blindfold yourself and pretend that the SS insignia on one of those rifles stands for something other than the worst thing that EVER happened to all of humanity.

Yes, I believe that it should be preserved, but only in the context of horrors that are associated with it AKA museum or private collection, not in buy/sell/profit atmosphere.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can we please take this back to a rifle discussion? We are talking about tools. It's the people and their actions that are horrible or not. Remember, our current foes want to give tools personalities as well. We all also need to respect our fellow firearms owners reasons for shooting/collecting or NOT shooting/collecting or we fall into the trap our current foes have set for us....i.e. it's OK for some people to have certain types of tools and NOT for others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't blame Germans for what SS did, but saying that SS is not responsible for what happened is ridicules. Eventually there were just over 1 million SS members, that are DIRECTLY responsible for systematic murder of 20 million CIVILIANS.

So when you take that SS marked weapon, load it, and squeeze one off - what flashes in your mind - is it 8 kids, or is it 8 women, or is it 4 elderly - that's how much innocent blood is each and every one of them.

What is bizzare to me that you would choose to blindfold yourself and pretend that the SS insignia on one of those rifles stands for something other than the worst thing that EVER happened to all of humanity.

Yes, I believe that it should be preserved, but only in the context of horrors that are associated with it AKA museum or private collection, not in buy/sell/profit atmosphere.

I have to disagree with the bolded text. If the Waffen-SS, the military arm of the SS organization, was directly responsible for the extermination of Jews, Poles, Gypsies, and other "undesirable" peoples, then you could make the same case that the entire U.S. Army is directly responsible for the depredations that took place at My Lai, Abu Ghraib, etc. The Waffen-SS formations by and large did not actively take part in any systemic or structured actions to round up civilians and ship them to concentration camps or just shoot them; such actions were left to a separate and independent formation of the SS, called the Totenkopfverbande, which would follow in the wake of the Waffen-SS's advances (or pull back before the retreat of the same). Yes, the Waffen-SS as an entity was a highly politically-motivated formation dedicated in theory to unstinting service to Adolf Hitler, and the philosophies espoused by many of its members were unpopular with members of the Wehrmacht and other non-SS formations, and yes, individual units of the Waffen-SS did take part in atrocities such as at Oradour-Sur-Glane and Malmedy. Whole Waffen-SS divisions also took part in anti-partisan operations which resulted in war crimes being perpetuated against the local civilian populations (especially in the Balkans). However, I'd argue that the majority of the Waffen-SS formations were not directly involved in such actions. I do think that Adolf Hitler and his regime were a stain on the history of mankind, and much of what was done in the name of the Third Reich was appalling on a monstrous scale; however, to say that the Waffen-SS in its entirety was "directly responsible for [the] systematic murder of 20 million CIVILIANS" is, IMHO, not entirely true.

Man, we sure got way off the OT.

Latest posts

Top Bottom