military rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about an Israeli Mauser? These are Standard KAR 98k rifles smuggled into Palestine (later the State of Israel) under the noses of the British, and used in the War of Independence.
Later, when most of NATO standardized on the 7.62mm NATO round, the Israelis re-barreled most of their Mausers to 7.62mm NATO, added Israeli proofmarks to the German Waffenamt proofmark, and used them as secondary issue for quite a while, IIRC up to the Yom Kippur War in 1973. I know that they saw a lot of use in the Six Day War in 1967.
If the Israelis did not have a problem using NAZI rifles, I sure as hell ain't going to.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Czech vz.24 and a Type 38 Arisaka. The money a Garand or an M1 Carbine cost is just plain out of my financial reach.

I'd love to get a K31. I have a C&R FFL and no money.... Go figure.... ;)

Isn't it funny how that happens. I bought so many more firearms before I got my C&R than now. But hey I like having my firearms shipped to me instead of an FFL. I just bought a P-64 Radom 9x18 pistol. And its coming directly to me. I love it.

Oh by the way. Can we all agree that both sides were bad and committed atrocities. And get back to talking about some cool old guns? Please.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Even though I stated my opinion about jap rifles, I do have two K98's with correct markings both are Dot 44's, along with those I have a 91/30PU sniper, SKS, two V48, M1 Garand, SC 1903A3, an a Inland M1 Carbine. I've heard alot of good about the jap rifles, but they just look like clunkers to me. Guess I got spoiled on Mauser actions before seeing them. For those that like them, an feel their collection isn't complete without one, fine by me, just won't be one in this house.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Arisaka series of rifles - but not the "Last-Ditch" series - were shown to have actions stronger than those of many Allied rifles. I used to have a fully-mummed T99 Arisaka, a mid-war design with some early features, made before the Japanese started cheaping out on materials and construction. It was quite accurate and a pleasure to shoot, but boy, was the ammo expensive!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
; however, to say that the Waffen-SS in its entirety was "directly responsible for [the] systematic murder of 20 million CIVILIANS" is, IMHO, not entirely true.

I didn't say "Waffen-SS" - I said SS as organization in whole. I understand they had separation of "labor" - but just because defense team doesn't score any points in super-bowl, doesn't mean they don't deserve the championship ring.
The biggest difference is that American/Soviet/other war crimes were condemned by their regimes and ideology - in SS case it was encourage and accepted.

Can we please take this back to a rifle discussion? We are talking about tools. It's the people and their actions that are horrible or not. Remember, our current foes want to give tools personalities as well. We all also need to respect our fellow firearms owners reasons for shooting/collecting or NOT shooting/collecting or we fall into the trap our current foes have set for us....i.e. it's OK for some people to have certain types of tools and NOT for others.

I agree - firearm is just a tool - I just refuse to pay a penny more for it then a tool, and yet Nazi marked firearms demand HUGE premiums IMHO due only to the connection to the evil they represent - and I will not participate or encourage that behavior.

And no, I do not feel a need to respect someones reasons to own/shoot firearm if I disagree with the motives: if you think what Nazis did was "cool" - I will make it my business to tell you what I think of Nazis and you in particular (this is not directed at anyone in particular, unless you do think that Nazis were "alright").

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't say "Waffen-SS" - I said SS as organization in whole. I understand they had separation of "labor" - but just because defense team doesn't score any points in super-bowl, doesn't mean they don't deserve the championship ring.
The biggest difference is that American/Soviet/other war crimes were condemned by their regimes and ideology - in SS case it was encourage and accepted.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion; while I consider your argument to have holes in it, I won't go any further into this since the thread was started for an entirely different reason. To the OP, my apologies for derailing your thread.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Arisaka series of rifles - but not the "Last-Ditch" series - were shown to have actions stronger than those of many Allied rifles. I used to have a fully-mummed T99 Arisaka, a mid-war design with some early features, made before the Japanese started cheaping out on materials and construction. It was quite accurate and a pleasure to shoot, but boy, was the ammo expensive!

This^^

The 38 and early 99 Arisaka is a very strong rifle. I've heard all the tales of awful Japanese rifles... Whatever...

Speaking of ammo... The Type 38 I have has been sporterized and rechambered to a 6.5-257 Robert Wildcat. Thankfully I can get dies. I also have a set of 6.5x50 Arisaka dies.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone needs to start making copies of these fine old rifles out of modern steel for the re-enactors and those of us that just love to shoot them. They could make them in the original caliber but modern calibers too. I would love to have a Type 44 carbine in 223 or a No4Mk1 in 308 Winchester or similar.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard stories or people trying to blow up and arisaka action with way overpressure loads and it wouldnt blow up. I think Ackley tried it and couldnt get one to blow. Anyhow I think its kinda funny honeybee gave a bunch of people mosinitis :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom