1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Milsurp Thread!

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by flatwins, Feb 28, 2012.

1. dlbleak

dlbleak Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Flatwins ordered us a couple of these last week from Allens Armory. They are Tula hex laminates. (thanks steve). Thought i'd share.
    [​IMG]

2. ldp4570

ldp4570 Sharpshooter

Very nice!!!

3. ldp4570

ldp4570 Sharpshooter

It would be nice if we had a "MILSURP SECTION". .22lr firearms, knives, sub-guns, handguns, gear, all the way up till the fall of the iron curtain!!

4. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I had one but traded it for my 5.8 SA Garand. It was a high number RIA mixmaster as well with a near mint SA replacement barrel. I picked it up at a Metcalf show a couple years back for $400. It was a National Match clone that had a Lyman 48S rear match sight, Lyman 17A front globe sight, and was drilled and tapped for an Unertl Super Target Scope. It also had a glass bedded Keystone C stock, adjustable Timney trigger, and an original 1918 Hoyt marked 1907 sling (sling is currently installed on my Enfield repro sniper). The rear military sight had been removed, the lower band was a stamped version from an A3, and the bolt was a mix of parts with non-matching finishes. For an extra $100 I replaced the lower band with a correct milled version, replaced the buttplate with a milled checkered version, polished the bolt, replaced the rear sight, windage knob, cocking piece, bolt sleeve, and safety with NOS matching parts. I also refinished the stock with Fiebing's medium brown dye, pure dark tung oil that Ronny gave me, and Tom's 1/3 wax mix.

[​IMG]

5. ronny

ronny Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If Sgt York had had that one, he might have really made a name for himself.

6. dlbleak

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    that looks nice CHL. i'm goin for that look on my stock.

7. ldp4570

ldp4570 Sharpshooter

CHL, Is it going to stay that red?? Still very nice. I'm going to leave mine alone.

[​IMG]

8. dlbleak

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    ooh, i like em all!

9. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm assuming that it will darken as the oil begins to oxidize. The SB 600 flash on my Nikon is bright enough that it makes the color appear lighter and redder than it actually is. The stock was poly'd before I refinished it so I definitely didn't harm an original finish.

Here's a picture of the stock with the poly clearcoat prior to being refinished...

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the stock (before wax) without the flash washing it out...

[​IMG]

10. ldp4570

ldp4570 Sharpshooter

Thats another thing all of us MilSurper's need to do is have a informal shoot!! Rifle's, Shotgun's, Handguns, Sub-Guns(semi or full auto)!!!!! Its getting warm an the time is great for us to get together an burn some powder!!!!