Minimum age to possess handgun in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith1279

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 20yo wants to join a competitive shooting club. What is the minimum age that they can have in their possession a handgun? The OK law references minors, which they are not. They will not be concealed carry, obviously due to their age and the fact that they are not in the military, but will be transferring unloaded and in a gun case from their residence to the range. The federal age to purchase the handgun is 21 but possessing one under 21 appears to be a bit of a blind spot.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Section 1273 of the SDA provides exceptions to a parent (or anyone with permission of a parent) giving a firearm to a "child" for specific purposes, including "target shooting". It defines "child" as someone under 18 years of age.

I would argue that if it is legal to give someone under 18 a firearm for target shooting, then it seems extremely unlikely to be illegal for that child to possess it, and even more unlikely to interpret it to mean someone 18-21 cannot legally possess it for specific purposes, including target shooting.

https://osbi.ok.gov/sites/g/files/gmc476/f/SDA_LAW_BOOK_NOVEMBER_2021.pdf
In any case, I doubt that unless said 18-21 year old is doing something stupid, any LEO will pay attention to a 20 year old on his way to or from a match.

DISCLAIMER: Not a lawyer....

As a reminder to everyone, the SDA is the first place to look for questions about firearms possession in Oklahoma. I didn't read the whole thing (again), just the sections on unlawful possession.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last I was aware 18yr olds could have a handgun in there possession but could not purchase or buy ammunition for a handgun. That does mean unloaded transported in a case ammo separated.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats my understanding that a 18 yo can buy and possess a handgun they just cant purchase it from a FFL or buy ammo for it but in today's market with so many pistol caliber rifles all the person has to do when asked is say it is for a rifle. I could be wrong simply cause i havent kept up with the laws on that age group since it dont involve me and havent for centuries.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES

B. Any person, eighteen (18) to twenty (20) years of age, who is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing or purchasing a firearm and is not carrying or transporting a firearm in the furtherance of a crime may transport in or on a vehicle, open or concealed, an unloaded firearm at any time.

Ammo to be separated (except from the gun e.g. unloaded) is a myth.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES

B. Any person, eighteen (18) to twenty (20) years of age, who is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing or purchasing a firearm and is not carrying or transporting a firearm in the furtherance of a crime may transport in or on a vehicle, open or concealed, an unloaded firearm at any time.

Ammo to be separated (except from the gun e.g. unloaded) is a myth.
That is what our Sheriff told Grandson.

Latest posts

Top Bottom