Minumin age to hunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to take my 10 year old nephew squirrel hunting. Is it legal for me to take him hunting? I think I would carry the rifle or .410. I know my father took me at that age but I'm not sure if it is legal. I've tried looking through the hunting regs. and the only thing I've found is that he would be exempt from being required to have a license.

ETA- That would be Minimum

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes you can take him but i believe that he will have to take and pass the hunter education course. i took mine when i was 11 so he should be fine.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He can hunt under your supervision for small game. Only needs the hunter safety course for large game. I would recommend that you get him in a class though and go through it with him. It makes it more fun for him that way, and doesn't hurt anyone for you to get a refresher too.

Be safe. Take him out and have a blast!

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/FAQs.htm#he2

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He can hunt under your supervision for small game. Only needs the hunter safety course for large game. I would recommend that you get him in a class though and go through it with him. It makes it more fun for him that way, and doesn't hurt anyone for you to get a refresher too.

Be safe. Take him out and have a blast!

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/FAQs.htm#he2

Thanks for the link. :thanku: He already loves going to the range and he has proved to be good at listening and following instructions. Hopefully he'll enjoy hunting just as much.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a hunter safety instructor, I prefer the kids to be a very settled 10 or preferably 12 because of the vocabulary involved.

If you want to take him squirrel hunting under your supervision, that's great. He does not need Hunter Safety for that.
Since he is not your kid, you might consider carrying a parental permission slip for him to be shooting a gun, which answers a lot of questions if you get checked.

superA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My boy is five and I took him deer hunting with me this year and even let him carry his rifle, of course it was a Daisy. Have fun! My boy is still talking about it and telling all his friends that he is a hunter.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boy is five and I took him deer hunting with me this year and even let him carry his rifle, of course it was a Daisy. Have fun! My boy is still talking about it and telling all his friends that he is a hunter.

That's awesome. I remember those days with my son. He once got mad at me because I wouldn't set his blueberry muffin out for the deer to eat. I told him we were waiting for the deer to come get breakfast. LOL. Of course he was back in a good mood in no time.

Now he's 17 and too busy with a social life to hunt much with old dad. :cry3:

superA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's awesome. I remember those days with my son. He once got mad at me because I wouldn't set his blueberry muffin out for the deer to eat. I told him we were waiting for the deer to come get breakfast. LOL. Of course he was back in a good mood in no time.

Now he's 17 and too busy with a social life to hunt much with old dad. :cry3:

Don't worry he will come back around when he is twenty or so. Right now he is just making himself the way he wants it without dad there. Still makes me sad to think about though. It's true though, I had way more fun with him than I ever would actually hunting. Ill remember this and make sure I put out the muffin if he wants me to. I'm taking him to the Rockies this year for the first time, God Damn I'm bursting with pride. I guess it's that way for all dad's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom