Model 12 winchester restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt52

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello shooters, looking for some leads on a Smith that is experienced with these old shotguns and the like. Picked up a beater model 12 a few years ago and it's in need of some TLC, while functional it does need some minor repair work and a refinish. I'm in central OK, local would be better but I'm not limited to that. I hate to ship firearms but I would for the right Smith. If you have any suggestions, I would love to also have reviews/photos of work before I made a decision. Thanks alot, happy shooting!

Matt52

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do the woodwork yourself. It's not difficult, and Birchwood Casey makes all the materials. I've refurbed my model 12 several years ago.
Hi Dennis I actually bought it with that intention, but can't seem to find the correct tools for fitting the stocks. I have some AAA fancy wood for it. But dont want to scrap it with improper tools for the job. I also need a spanner wrench as well as a bbl wrench to remove the receiver extension. The adjusting collar lock shoe is broken and needs replaced. Drop in part, but not all that easy to get to. Any advice for the proper wood working tools and leads for the above mentioned wrenches would be greatly appreciated. I'm confident I could do it, just hell finding the stuff to get it done. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Dennis I actually bought it with that intention, but can't seem to find the correct tools for fitting the stocks. I have some AAA fancy wood for it. But dont want to scrap it with improper tools for the job. I also need a spanner wrench as well as a bbl wrench to remove the receiver extension. The adjusting collar lock shoe is broken and needs replaced. Drop in part, but not all that easy to get to. Any advice for the proper wood working tools and leads for the above mentioned wrenches would be greatly appreciated. I'm confident I could do it, just hell finding the stuff to get it done. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

Took a bit of searching, but finally found the thread of my restore. The original post was lost in a forum crash we had showing much more detail in actual work. Sandpaper and a series of files to work the wood with is the most important for fitting a new stock. (old stock was split by the original owner) I got the buttstock from a place in Missouri, and refinished the original forearm.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/a-rebuild-before-after.60648/#post-730584

We have a couple of other members on the forum that have refinished their woodwork. I'm sure they will check in.

Matt52

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took a bit of searching, but finally found the thread of my restore. The original post was lost in a forum crash we had showing much more detail in actual work. Sandpaper and a series of files to work the wood with is the most important for fitting a new stock. (old stock was split by the original owner) I got the buttstock from a place in Missouri, and refinished the original forearm.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/a-rebuild-before-after.60648/#post-730584

We have a couple of other members on the forum that have refinished their woodwork. I'm sure they will check in.
Thanks again Dennis, do you mind letting me know what brand/grade of files you were using. That's the most trouble I've had. Not sure what levels of coarse or fine to have on hand thanks again! Any ideas on a spanner wrench to remove the slide handle? That must come off before I can remove the receiver extension. Thanks again!

Matt52

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again Dennis, do you mind letting me know what brand/grade of files you were using. That's the most trouble I've had. Not sure what levels of coarse or fine to have on hand thanks again! Any ideas on a spanner wrench to remove the slide handle? That must come off before I can remove the receiver extension. Thanks again!
Very pretty old 12 too dennis. I'm jealous.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about getting back to you.
If your talking about this nut,

2df25914899548a5d90f0e8140680a56.jpg

I don’t have a spanner to fit that. What I used was a tool I got with some Dawson Sights to drift out the front sight on a pistol. Short piece of aluminum with a piece of Teflon on the end. Just used a small hammer and tapped on it to back it off. I suspect a small piece aluminum tubing could be filed down to do the same and not mar the finish.
As far as files, just a general half round, rat tail, or round file will work. It’s just wood so a high end set isn’t necessary.
You’ll use sandpaper more than anything. The stock I put on mine required very little fitting. Most are cut out and rough finished with computerized equipment programmed to match factory specs of the receiver your going to mount it on.
It looks intimidating when you start, but when you get done you’ll be thinking, this isn’t that tough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom