Model 58 AAR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today was the day that I took my M58 out and shot it for the first time.

I'll be honest: at first, it was slightly uncomfortable to shoot, even with the 'police loads' that an outfitter in Okie City made for me. I believe that one factor here could be that I am not used to shooting quite yet, and this was reinforced by the fact that the more I shot, the more comfortable it became. A two-handed hold helped too. The gun was mostly function-fired and about 40 rounds were expended with no misfires.

I wonder how a full-house magnum round would be to shoot. Probably about like Magnums in my 629 Mountain Gun.

The revolver is an N-frame with fixed sights and it seems to be an early one as it has the S-prefix serial number. The action was quite smooth and I'm still getting used to how noisy it is to dry-fire a S&W revolver. Before my cochlear implant, I never heard it before.

This is one revolver that I have wanted for quite a while, and now I finally have one.

586.jpg

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations on shooting your revolver. I bought one two years ago and after firing it with the magna grips on it, I quickly changed to some Pachmayr grips which make a world of difference. The concussion from full house loads is impressive for sure.

Andrew

D.M.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my 41's, 4 inch S&W model 57's.
How can you not love an N frame?
Walking in the woods I load 210gr Federal jhp
but if I carry it to town I switch to Winchester
175gr Silvertips.
As far as recoil, your 58 will kick less than the 629
even with magnum loads.

Last edited:

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my 58 for a couple of months before the ATF came and took it. Apparently it had been used in a crime and disappeared for 55 years before I bought it. I hadn't had a chance to shoot it. To the op, take those diamond PC magnas off and store them carefully, they are worth quite a bit, and get some Houges, Pachmayrs or some aftermarket wood combats (my favorite) and go enjoy shooting it comfortably.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my 58 for a couple of months before the ATF came and took it. Apparently it had been used in a crime and disappeared for 55 years before I bought it. I hadn't had a chance to shoot it. To the op, take those diamond PC magnas off and store them carefully, they are worth quite a bit, and get some Houges, Pachmayrs or some aftermarket wood combats (my favorite) and go enjoy shooting it comfortably.
that really sucks! Did they say what happened with it? Where did you get it from?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
^^^sucks^^^ just like John said! 55 years later and it turned up on a nics hotlist. Had that happen on a marlin CB 357 lever gun I bought at a pawn shop. Never got to shoot it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom