1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Modifying a kydex holster

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by No.343, Feb 5, 2021.

1. No.343

No.343 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    I have a holster for a S&W 625 that is really close to fitting my GP-100. The barrel on the GP-100 was replaced to have that squared off look similar to the Performance Center 627. I no longer have a 625 and I'm willing to try to heat the holster and change the shape. My question is what do you use to press the kydex into the gun to get it to keep its shape? Is it worth trying? Thanks in advance.

2. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    A foam press. Don’t have one? Don’t try it. I have a bin full of pre match modded kydex and they’re all crap

3. druryj

druryj Administrator Staff Member

Administrator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    This. But if you insist on trying, wear a set of gloves and use a doubled-over cloth as you press down on the previously heated Kydex with the UNLOADED gun shoved into the hot material to try to reform it to your liking. It all depends on how much fitting you need. I'd just fork over the bucks and get one that fits to begin with. No matter how hard you try, it's not gonna be quite right; unless you got a Black Belt in Kydex forming.

4. TWSS

TWSS Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I’ve used old carpet pads tripled over and a flat board on top to stand on. You should be generally crafty and good with tools before trying anything on something your not willing to throw in the trash. Like most things, ingenuity can replace having the exact right tool for the job.

mouthpiece likes this.
  5. thor447

thor447 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have a press that'll do the job. If you're in Moore, you are pretty close to me in Newcastle. If you want, you can use my press here. I used to do tons of kydex and leather work back in the day. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

MacFromOK and bigred1 like this.