1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

MOOO cows

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by Timmy59, Dec 8, 2019.

1. CHenry

CHenry Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    HA!

Timmy59 likes this.
  2. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Watch that dude. I don't think I care for the look in his eye...

...seriously though, my experience is that Hereford bulls are some of the least aggressive ones out there with regards to charging humans.

Cowcatcher and CHenry like this.
  3. Snattlerake

Snattlerake Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That Hereford up there looks like it has the beginnins of a bull's head. Kinda wide.

Timmy59 likes this.
  4. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Had a polled hereford that was the most laid-back bull I ever owned. He wasn't a pet, but I loaded him into a 14ft stock trailer (by myself) in an open pasture by stringing a trail of cubes into it.

He didn't even seem to notice (or care) when I closed the gate behind him. :D

Timmy59, dennishoddy and TerryMiller like this.
  5. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Did he not wink back at ya ? LOL, It's always wise to keep your eye on livestock that have a pair.. I do look forward to him maturing from this 13 mo bull calf into a 3-4 yo mature bull.. I'll keep this MOOO cow ride updated as stuff happens..

6. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Thank ya stranger, they're mini's under 42", @Cowcatcher called them cute so I got my eyes peeled for some cowboy with a sparkle in his eye..

Cowcatcher likes this.
  7. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It has started, I think we're for an impressive lil bull..

8. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    This calls for a tale of a young black bull. With regards to having a bull for springer heifers, my Father-in-law was always told to buy a "scrubby black bull" to put with his springer Herefords. Well, Father-in-law could NEVER buy anything "scrubby," so he bought a nice Angus bull and we put them with the heifers. That year, we lost a lot of calves and a few of the heifers because the calves came so big. So, Father-in-law sold the bull to my brother-in-law (my sister's husband) and he put them out with his mature cows.

Later on, brother-in-law kept kidding us that we sold him a bum bull because they NEVER saw him "servicing" any of the cows. That next Spring, about 95% of his cows calved some black baldies. When he told me the results, I told him that the bull wasn't dumb. Being a black bull, it was easy to sneak up on the cows in the dark.

dennishoddy and Timmy59 like this.
  9. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I don't. Best thing that ever happened was selling off every danged one of them, and wiping my hands clean of the entire cow/calf operation.
    Your stuck at home just like a dairy farmer. You have to feed and you have to milk. Twice a day with dairy. No vacations, no sick days, no taking a day at the lake. Good luck finding someone to help out for a week or two to get away.
    I'll admit it was a cool gig while working for ranchers when young, but doing the same just didn't work out for me later on when starting my own herd. When that last trucker drove away headed for the sale barn, it was like a new life opened up with all the spare time on top of keeping a full time job that required lots of overtime.

2busy likes this.
  10. 2busy

2busy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'll be selling the last of the herd this year. After 20 yrs of cow/calf operation I'm just tired of fooling with them and the haying in the summer.

dennishoddy likes this.