More testing w/the 7.62x39...a little confused...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious what you guys thing about the speeds I'm getting? Seems a bit slow to me. Maybe all of the powder isn't burning or something? I really don't know. I'm still pretty new to reloading, so any input would be appreciated. Like I said, the book shows 28.5 gr of Accurate 2015 to shoot around 2400fps and I'm pretty far from that. I know those speeds are likely tested with a 22" barrel, but I was still hoping to be closer to 2300fps. I mean if all these factory loads are over that, surely I can replicate them. I guess I'll try to find some H4198, the book shows it doing 2400fps with 25.7gr. Hopefully that powder will fit in the brass without being majorly compressed. I dunno...

Also, I pulled the bullet on one of the Hornady SST steel case rounds that I had and it measures 24.3gr, so I'm guessing that may be H4198 that they use. Is H4198 really fine powder?

Last edited:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my take is two things are showing their heads here.
1. Manufacturers blend their powders with proprietary formulas that may or may not be available to hand loaders. They've got it figured out and will not release this information so the best we can do is usually get close.

2. Your reloading process may have some bearing on this too. That's quite a compressed load you have there and I'd suspect neck tension is affecting it. Nosler lists 28 grains of powder in that case at 115 percent full.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H4198 is a short cut stick powder. While easier to meter, I wouldn't call it really fine.
well darn, it must not be what they use then.

So my take is two things are showing their heads here.
1. Manufacturers blend their powders with proprietary formulas that may or may not be available to hand loaders. They've got it figured out and will not release this information so the best we can do is usually get close.
oh great. well surely there some type of powder that will get me to 2300fps, I guess I just gotta keep searching.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some research on that powder the Accurate 2015 and read that it did not get top velocity.
Accurate 1680 will do it though.
some reading .
https://ultimatereloader.com/2017/04/14/high-performance-7-62x39mm-reloads-for-the-ak-47/
And some more .
https://rifleshooter.com/2017/04/re...load-development-with-125-and-150-gr-bullets/

Looks like the CFE Black may get you what you wish for.
Awesome, thanks for that info and the heads up on the cfe black. That definitely looks like what I am looking for. Now if I can just find some in stock somewhere.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 2019 Hodgdon Annual Manual (latest one I have) did their 7.62x39 loads with a 24 inch barrel, specific gun not given.
9th edition of the Hornady manual says they used a Chinese SKS with 20 inch barrel for their loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom