Mosin M38 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice gun. I've got a full length 1916 M91 Dragoon. Original Stock :)

Is your rifle a M91 or a Dragoon? If your rifle is the same length as a M91/30 (48 1/2") then it may be a Dragoon but if it is as you say "full length" (51 1/2") then you have a M91.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rarity does not matter as far as price is concerned, they sold it to you for what it is worth, the question is how well it shoots.
I believe I read that they have run out of the millions of spare guns they started out with a few years ago so are now selling us the guns that would not sell just a few years ago
we think of them as rare instead of as a problem rifle that they reconfigured. I have had to cut down the barrels on a lot of Mosins due to barrel swelling and end splits but without the stamps to make it official I could not call them something else.

again... How does it shoot?
Thats the important thing, can you hit a turkey size target at 100 yards or does it take a man size target at 25 yards to put holes in the paper?
Hope it is all that you bargained for.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rarity does not matter as far as price is concerned, they sold it to you for what it is worth, the question is how well it shoots.
I believe I read that they have run out of the millions of spare guns they started out with a few years ago so are now selling us the guns that would not sell just a few years ago
we think of them as rare instead of as a problem rifle that they reconfigured. I have had to cut down the barrels on a lot of Mosins due to barrel swelling and end splits but without the stamps to make it official I could not call them something else.

again... How does it shoot?
Thats the important thing, can you hit a turkey size target at 100 yards or does it take a man size target at 25 yards to put holes in the paper?
Hope it is all that you bargained for.

This all depends on what you purchased the gun for, if he purchased it for collecting purposes then he did well. I know people (myself included) that have purchased rifles that the barrel is completely shot out but they are some of the only versions known to exist and this makes them worth collecting. Your opinion of what to collect or shoot has no bearing on what another individual might be.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is sure an odd one. It could be made from a dragoon, or ex-dragoon 91-30. The barrel is 1927 and the reciever is atleast pre-1936. You should take it out of the stock and check the tang date. That'dd be a two digit number on the underside of the reciever that tells the year the reciever was made.

RonBurgundy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is sure an odd one. It could be made from a dragoon, or ex-dragoon 91-30. The barrel is 1927 and the reciever is atleast pre-1936. You should take it out of the stock and check the tang date. That'dd be a two digit number on the underside of the reciever that tells the year the reciever was made.

The receiver tang is also dated 1927. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but the bore is in excellent shape with no counterboring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom