Mosin M38

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a word of caution. If you're a Mosin nut and run into an M38 in your search for the holy grail, be sure it is what it is advertised as. I recently ran into one with a tag that said M38, as well as $399.95. I choked a little as I picked it up. First thing I looked at was the receiver and the date - 1946. I'm getting kind of old, so I don't trust my memory as much as I used to. But, as I recall, no M38's were made in 1946.

Next thing I look for is "no bayonet lug". Well, there wasn't one, but it was clear that there once was. Someone had done a rather poor job of grinding it off.

Be careful with your money when you shop for C&R guns. There are some good fakes out there (this wasn't one) and lots of unscrupulous, or unknowing, sellers.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll keep my 91/59. Most accurate Mosin I own and more accurate than my friend's Remington 710. And from what I've read, the 91/59s in general have better accuracy than most M38s.

And a whole lot of fun to shoot.... FLAME ON!!!

i.imgur.com_DclDsDM.jpg

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once had an M38, M44, 91/59 and 91/38, all at the same time. Couldn't tell a hill of beans difference in them in terms of accuracy. My favorite was the 91/38 cause it was older than me.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ran across a very poor fake sniper at a small gun show. When I mentioned the inconsistencies the guy told me to F... off. I made him my hobby for about two hours telling everyone that picked it up that it was wrong.
Though I would get the boot but turned out a lot of his stuff was fake including the German and Russian badges/pins.

Latest posts

Top Bottom