Mosin Nagant 1937 Izensky

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great and thanks. Not recoil sensitive but when I go to the range I tend to shoot a lot of my guns and the Mosin and my 30-06 tend to wear on me. This looks like a good option to insure I don't damage or change the original configuration.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be aware it is a fairly hard rubber and is more of an extension than a buffer. I drill out the holes completely to make it a little softer. But it is a bit better that way than the steel plate.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Russian manufactures were Tula and Izensky pre/post war. The Tula's often have the octagonal barrel at the extractor and rarer. The Izensky (some call it an IZZY) were much higher production. This one is in extremely good condition with all the furniture and barrel markings clear and unblemished. Barrel, bolt, receiver, stock butt plate, everything has matching serial numbers except the bayonet which is not unusual. The condition of this one is very unusual.

I'm well aware what an Izhevsk is. I was just teasing over the spelling.

BTW...Tula and Izhevsk both produced approximately 14 million hex and round receiver 91/30's. I wouldn't classify any of them as rare, even the hex Tula's. In my experience, the round receiver Tula's seem to actually be less frequently encountered than the hexes. As I mentioned in my previous post, that is a gorgeous pre-war stock set. Good job protecting the shellac when you removed the barrel bands. Whatever you do, be sure to leave the finish alone as original pre-war stocks are becoming more scarce and valuable. On a separate note, you honestly should not take any offense to Perplexed's first post. He was only attempting to be helpful. If you were to post a thread with the words "Izensky" or "Izzy" on a place like Gunboards you would have needed some flame retardant whitey tighties. There would have been at least one or two members on that site that would have had a coronary on the spot. ;)

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, they are addictive. My modest collection...

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_IMG_5557_zps7am7vpc7.jpg

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_jbrentd_Gun_20Stuff_34283F75_6f649d99aa34082107b531fdd91744f6.jpg

...On a separate note, you honestly should not take any offense to Perplexed's first post. He was only attempting to be helpful. If you were to post a thread with the words "Izensky" or "Izzy" on a place like Gunboards you would have needed some flame retardant whitey tighties. There would have been at least one or two members on that site that would have had a coronary on the spot. ;)

^ truth

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. I'm very impressed and jealous. I also think I over reacted. I know about the thick skin thing as I was a ref for 25 years (baseball/basketball/football) and I should know better. Just having a bad moment that apparently I wanted to share (lol for real).
Can you tell me about the sniper on top? Looks war time issue but can't tell on my phone.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The date stamp on that receiver is 1934. Above it is the Soviet crest. The number below that is the original SN. The symbol below that is the factory stamp. Izhevsk, it appears in your case (Arrow in a triangle). The stamp on the side is from the importer C.A.I (Century Arms International) and the new SN assigned by them. The rest are likely assorted proof, inspection, receiving, and re-arsenal stamps.

I found a few of the assorted marks here if you want to see what they mean.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

enjoy

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for Luke to post his collection that I know he has....

I've actually been downsizing things lately and trying to focus mainly on U.S. service rifles. If I'm counting correctly, I ended up moving along eight of my Mosins and the only remaining one is a VKT M39 that was the best shooter of the bunch.

i.imgur.com_0Ry9XMEh.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom