Mosin-Nagant M44 not extracting shells

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, but from a practical standpoint, they have a nasty habit of bending when they do. Not likely to happen when feeding from the mag. Just my experience.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What nationality of ammo is it?
Czech Light Ball is a favorite of mine to shoot, but in some Mosins they are difficult to extract, as it's a steel case and not soft and elastic as "brass" is.
My Romanian M44 requires a rubber mallet on the bolt hand;e to extract, while my 91/30's and M39 have no problem.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would suggest that your extractor may be bent. It is not uncommon. It is often caused by loading ammo directly into the chamber rather than by feeding from the magazine.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn, I'm getting senile. Or, maybe I'm just trying to make a point. lol

But the point youre trying to make is false. The Mosin is NOT a controlled round reed design. The cartridge rim WILL NOT pop up under the extractor like a mauser. Once you start to chamber a round in a Mosin you have to close the bolt all the way in order to extract the round or tilt the rifle back and let the round slide back out if it will. You cannot bend an extractor simply chambering a round.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But the point youre trying to make is false. The Mosin is NOT a controlled round reed design. The cartridge rim WILL NOT pop up under the extractor like a mauser. Once you start to chamber a round in a Mosin you have to close the bolt all the way in order to extract the round or tilt the rifle back and let the round slide back out if it will. You cannot bend an extractor simply chambering a round.

Yeah, I know. We've been through this before. Having owned a couple dozen Mosins and also having fixed bent extractors on a number of them, I know there are some kind of little gremlins in there that really like to bend extractors. Every time I run across a Mosin which has extraction problems, it's the first thing I consider and, surprisingly, it's often the answer.

I won't argue with you about the design of the Mosin or what causes the bent extractors. I'll simply say that if you have extraction problems, check for a bent extractor. When it isn't that, then it usually winds up being a very dirty chamber, usually with a pot full of burnt-on lacquer.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. We've been through this before. Having owned a couple dozen Mosins and also having fixed bent extractors on a number of them, I know there are some kind of little gremlins in there that really like to bend extractors. Every time I run across a Mosin which has extraction problems, it's the first thing I consider and, surprisingly, it's often the answer.

I won't argue with you about the design of the Mosin or what causes the bent extractors. I'll simply say that if you have extraction problems, check for a bent extractor. When it isn't that, then it usually winds up being a very dirty chamber, usually with a pot full of burnt-on lacquer.

Not trying to argue but it's been my experience that when someone works the bolt too slow the round will tend to jump or pop up too far and the tip of the bullet ends up in the lug recess area around the chamber. Then the person will try to force the round in causing the rim to sit against the extractor and bend it. Also seen one incident of someone smack the bolt hard enough to cause the bolt face to hit the primer causing an out of battery. not good. Another reason why controlled feed is better. Although with the mosin you can have 5 in the mag and 1 in the chamber without worrying about breaking an extractor like a mauser.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad I wasn't at that "out of battery" experience. Yeah, what you describe could well be a culprit in the broken extractor scenario. Those extractors are just too thin.

Funny how you need to move the tip of the top round up to make it function reliably, but if you work the action too slowly, it will move the tip up too much.

I wonder what seedy finally did?

Latest posts

Top Bottom