Mosin Nagant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newxder50

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Mosin that looks great, nice furniture and metal looks good...problem, when I shoot it it doesn't like to extract the shell, granted I have been using the cheap steel-case Herters stuff but my son's Mosin cycles it just fine...the bolt also sticks...any ideas? Hoping it is not a headspace issue!

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few of the mosins that I have dealt with have had burrs in the chamber. Check the exterior of the casings after you extract them, look for shiny scrapes or rub marks corresponding to the burr. I end up making a slotted rod that I can get a small roll of emory cloth on, attach it to a cordless drill and polish the chamber a bit.

One other thing, I had picked up some ammo years ago that were packed in green paper boxes, the ammo was a dark color with a heavy lacquer finish. If I use that crap in any of my mosins, it's near impossible to extract the spent casing. All the other surplus copper wash ammo works like a charm.

newxder50

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the help...I pulled the bolt and disassembled it, took the extractor out and found a lot of cosmoline around the slot it goes in and on the spring itself, extractor looked fine, not bent. Re-installed that and also sprayed lots of CLP into the bore and used industrial Q tips to clean the cosmoline and gunk out of it, there was some but it really didn't look like much...gonna take it to the range this weekend to see if it improves, gotta try some non-steel ammo as well and hope that my Mosin just doesn't like steel ammo.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steel cases are not as elastic as brass, and some brands/nationalities of steel case will "cling" to the inside walls of the chamber more than others.

My Romanian M44 required a rubber mallet to eject Czech light ball ammo, but my two Russian MN's and one Finnish MN's have no problem.
However, my M44 will eject other nationalites of steel case no problem, so I avoid Czech ammo in my Mosins, which is no problem, as I keep it reserved for my semi-auto PSL.

Commie countries were never known for their exacting attention to detail. :)

Laquer has nothing to do with it, as laquer is used all over the place on commie ammo, and would be an issue with all rifles shooting 7.62 x 39 and 7.62 x 54.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Mosin 91/30 that had a broken extractor claw. It was hard to see, but the actual claw part that grabs the rim of the cartridge was chipped off. I found a good replacement (just the threaded piece with the extractor) at a gun show for $10, and all was good to go.

newxder50

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I cleaned my Mosin thoroughly, scrubbed her out and checked the extractor and put everything back and it STILL binds up and will not close with either brass or steel shells...it feeds fine, but will not close on the shell, it stops just before and I can't lay the bolt over (stays pointed up at 12 oclock)...take out the shell and the bolt functions flawessly...might just get another one and try again...this is quite frustrating...any other ideas my friends??

Latest posts

Top Bottom