mosin question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TheMcs

I'm fairly new to them, but from what I've seen of people posting in a Mosin forum I'd estimate 1 in 10. Mine is a forced match (a couple strikethroughs) except for the bayonet, which doesn't match. Thinking about what these rifles have gone through, I'd think even 1 in 10 would be a pretty high estimate.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to them, but from what I've seen of people posting in a Mosin forum I'd estimate 1 in 10. Mine is a forced match (a couple strikethroughs) except for the bayonet, which doesn't match. Thinking about what these rifles have gone through, I'd think even 1 in 10 would be a pretty high estimate.

I think he means consecutive serial numbers...not fully matching serial numbered rifles. I've owned seven MN's and I know at least four of those were numbers matching rifles. 10% might be a little on the low side.

I have to admit that I've looked through quite a few crates of 91/30's and it never occurred to me to search for consecutive numbered rifles.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think he means consecutive serial numbers...not fully matching serial numbered rifles. I've owned seven MN's and I know at least four of those were numbers matching rifles. 10% might be a little on the low side.

I have to admit that I've looked through quite a few crates of 91/30's and it never occurred to me to search for consecutive numbered rifles.

Correct, as long as they are consecutively numbered. Kinda wanted 3 shooters that match a little. Not really wanting collector type guns, just unique xmas gifts.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say, maybe with some 1946/47 M44. Standard issue 91/30s were all issued, rearsenalled etc. With 40 million built, it would be a heck of a draw of luck there.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Consecutive numbers. Slim and none! And, slim would be a really big number.

Matching numbers are not that hard to come by, although it's harder today than it used to be. You're looking for magazine floorplate, barrel shank, bolt knob, butt plate and early cocking knobs. The bolt is the most likely to be non-matching.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Ronny. I'll add that I've seen more Finland reworks and old model 91's that had matching numbers than the 91/30's. I do have a cool Mosin that has matching numbers...it was made by Remington.
I've never seen two Mosins with consecutive serial numbers!!?? I think that would be cool though.